Coefficient of kinetic friction on ramp

In summary, the equation for the coefficient of kinetic friction (mk) can be derived from the acceleration of the block and disk on a 30° incline. The acceleration of the disk can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, while the acceleration of the block can be calculated using the force equation. By setting the two accelerations equal to each other, the equation for mk can be solved.
UrbanXrisis
A block and disk with equal masses are released from the same height on a 30° incline. The block slides down the ramp while the disk rolls. If they both reach the bottom at the same time, what must be the coefficient of kinetic (sliding) friction?

ANSWER: mk = (1/3)tanX = (1/3)tan(30°) = 0.192

my question is... how did they derive the equation:
mk = (1/3)tanX

all I got was 2/3 g sin X

[tex]\mu m g cos\theta=ma[/tex]
[tex]\mu m g cos\theta=m*\frac{2}{3} g sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]\mu=\frac{2}{3}tan \theta[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
A block and disk with equal masses are released from the same height on a 30° incline. The block slides down the ramp while the disk rolls. If they both reach the bottom at the same time, what must be the coefficient of kinetic (sliding) friction? ...

[tex]\mu m g cos\theta=ma[/tex]
[tex]\mu m g cos\theta=m*\frac{2}{3} g sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]\mu=\frac{2}{3}tan \theta[/tex]
If they reach the bottom at the same time, then:

[tex]t_{block} = \sqrt{2s/a_{block}} = t_{disk} = \sqrt{2s/a_{disk}}[/tex] so the two accelerations must be equal.

The acceleration of the centre of mass of the disk is given by:

[tex]\tau = I\alpha = \frac{3}{2}mr^2a_{disk}/r = mgsin(30)r[/tex]

This is the tricky part. You have to use the parallel axis theorem to get the moment of inertia about a point on the rim: [itex]I_{rim} = I_{cm} + mr^2[/itex]

So:
(1)[tex]a_{disk} = \frac{2}{3}gsin(30)[/tex]

For the block:

[tex]F = ma_{block} = mgsin(30) - \mu_kmgcos(30)[/tex]

(2)[tex]a_{block} = g(sin(30) - \mu_kcos(30))[/tex]

From (1) and (2):

[tex]sin(30)(1 - \frac{2}{3})= \mu_kcos(30)[/tex]

[tex]\mu_k = \frac{1}{3}tan(30)[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
I suppose you have this figured out already but still...

For the disk, it is not really necessary to refer to the rim. If you do so however, you will take the torque contribution from mgsin\theta only and not from the friction force. So I guess for this problem, Andrew's method is better. You can also set up the torque equation about the mass center of the disk, taking torque due to friction only. But you would have to solve another equation (in particular, for translation of the mass center) to eliminate the frictional force. Remember, frictional force is in general not written as a function of the friction coefficients in case of general plane motion (ie rotation + translation) and definitely not in case of rolling. But for the block which does not rotate, frictional force is written as a function of the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact as one of the surfaces slides or moves along the other. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1, with lower values indicating less friction and higher values indicating more friction.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction is the force that resists the motion of an object, while the normal force is the force exerted perpendicular to the surface that the object is in contact with.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the object, and the angle or slope of the ramp.

4. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp important to consider?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp is important to consider because it affects the amount of force needed to move an object along the ramp. It also plays a role in determining the speed and acceleration of the object as it moves down the ramp.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp be reduced?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a ramp can be reduced by using materials with smoother surfaces, applying lubricants between the surfaces in contact, and decreasing the weight of the object. Additionally, decreasing the angle or slope of the ramp can also reduce the coefficient of kinetic friction.