Conservation of mom. explosion

In summary, a fuel tank with a total mass of 6 kg, moving at a speed of 0.5 m/s, explodes into three pieces with masses of 1 kg, 2 kg, and 3 kg. The speed of the first piece (m1) can be calculated using the equations of momentum and the given angles of 127 degrees, 90 degrees, and 143 degrees. After some calculations, the speed of m1 is found to be 5.66 m/s.
burton95

Homework Statement

(2) A fuel tank with a total mass of 6 kg is moving with a speed of vi = 0.5 m/s when it explodes into three pieces. The three pieces fly away from the explosion in the directions shown in the figure; N.B., vi and v3 point in the same direction. The masses of the pieces are: m1 = 1 kg, m2 = 2 kg and m3 = 3 kg. What is the speed (in m/s) of the m1 piece if v3 = 6 m/s?

v1 and v2 point in negative x direction(left). v1 points positive Y(up) and v2 points negative Y

θ1 between v3 and v1 = 127 degrees
θ2 between v1 and v2 = 90
θ3 between v3 and v2 = 143

Homework Equations

Pf = Pi

The Attempt at a Solution

I set Pi and v3 to be on the x-axis moving right as positive. There is no Piy

Pix = 6 kg * .5 m/s = 3 kg m/s
Piy = 0

Pfx = 3 kg m/s = 3 kg * 6 m/s - m1v1sinθ - m2v2sinθ

Pfy = 0 = m1v1cosθ - m2v2cosθ

If I can get one of the remaining velocities I'm home free. I tried getting the hypotenuse using tan X/6 = 127 and got x to = 536.7...or some such nonsense.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the scenario that shown in the picture?

Are you sure you used sine and cosine correctly in the components of momentums?
Plug in the data into the equations, isolate one of the speeds and substitute into the other equation.
Show your work in detail.

ehild

Attachments

• exploding3.JPG
    exploding3.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 375
Yeah that's it. What did u use to draw it?

Originally i tried to take sin127 to get the hypo between v3 and v1. That gave me .79. Not right so i broke up theta1 now = 37° between y-axis and v1. To get the value in x direction would be sine right?

Then
-v1m1sin37 - m2v2sin53 = -15
V2 = -15 + m1v1sin37 / (-m2sin53)
Insert into original
3 = 18 - m1v1sin37 - (m2(-15+m1v1sin37)/-m2sin53)(sin53)

Eventually i end up at
-15 = -m1sin37v1 -15 + m1v1sin37 = 0?

Nevermind i got it. I was setting up v2 for the wrong equation. Thx

1. What is the conservation of mom. explosion?

The conservation of mom. explosion, also known as conservation of momentum, is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In other words, the total amount of movement in a system before and after an explosion will be the same.

2. How does the conservation of mom. explosion apply to explosions?

The conservation of mom. explosion applies to explosions because an explosion is a type of collision where objects are separated by a large distance in a short amount of time. The law states that the total momentum of the system, including all objects involved in the explosion, will remain constant before and after the explosion.

3. Can the conservation of mom. explosion be violated?

No, the conservation of mom. explosion is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It has been tested and proven through various experiments and is considered to be one of the most well-established laws in physics.

4. How does the conservation of mom. explosion affect the aftermath of an explosion?

The conservation of mom. explosion plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of an explosion. It helps scientists and engineers understand the direction and speed of objects after an explosion, which can be used to predict the impact and damage caused by the explosion.

5. Is the conservation of mom. explosion applicable to all types of explosions?

Yes, the conservation of mom. explosion is applicable to all types of explosions, including chemical, nuclear, and even astronomical explosions. As long as the system is closed, meaning there are no external forces acting on the system, the total momentum will remain constant before and after the explosion.