How and what to teach on a first year elementary number theory course.

In summary, in the late 80’s and early 90’s, there was a push for curriculum reform in calculus and linear algebra, resulting in changes in teaching methods and content. However, there has not been as much focus on number theory in terms of curriculum development. Some recommended topics to cover in elementary number theory include Chinese reminder theorem, modular arithmetic, Pythagorean triples, prime numbers, and the Euclidean algorithm. Another interesting aspect to introduce is cryptography.
matqkks
In the late 80’s and early 90’s there was the idea of ‘calculus reform’ and some emphasis and syllabus changed. The order of doing things in calculus also changed with the advantage of technology.
Similarly in linear algebra there was a linear algebra curriculum study group which produced some really good ways of teaching linear algebra and also highlighted curriculum changes. This was produced in the January 1993 College Mathematics Journal.
Has any similar work been covered in number theory. I am looking for what are the important topics to cover and any work or research on the teaching of number theory.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know if any similar work has been done, but I think it's a shame that such a wonderful topic, which requires no knowledge of calculus, set theory, or any other advanced mathematics, isn't offered more frequently in a first year form.

However, I did get some exposure to number theory through early math history, and I think that's a great place to start. The greeks were doing number theory long before any of the above branches of math were discovered. Proofs about triangular and square numbers and such are fairly easy to construct for a first year student. Pythagorean triples, etc.

-Dave K

Likes 1 person
I would say for ELEMENTARY number theory the big topics to cover are (in no order of course): Chinese reminder theorem, modular arithmetic, Pythagorean triples, prime numbers, and the Euclidean algorithm (matrix method as well!).
Another cool topic you could try to introduce is the "art" of cryptography. You could do some caser ciphers and then move onto basic examples of RSA encryption.
Good luck!

Likes 1 person

1. What are the main topics covered in a first year elementary number theory course?

A first year elementary number theory course typically covers topics such as prime numbers, divisibility, modular arithmetic, and basic number patterns and relationships.

2. How can I effectively teach concepts like divisibility and prime numbers?

One effective way to teach these concepts is to use hands-on activities and manipulatives, such as using counters or blocks to demonstrate divisibility rules and using visual aids to show the patterns in prime numbers.

3. How can I make the course more engaging for students?

To make the course more engaging, you can incorporate real-life examples and applications of number theory, such as cryptography or number puzzles. You can also use interactive games and group activities to make the learning experience more enjoyable.

4. How much emphasis should be placed on problem-solving in this course?

Problem-solving is a crucial aspect of learning number theory. Therefore, it is recommended to incorporate problem-solving activities and questions throughout the course to help students apply the concepts they have learned and develop critical thinking skills.

5. Are there any specific teaching strategies or resources that you would recommend for this course?

There are various teaching strategies and resources that can be used for teaching elementary number theory, such as incorporating technology, using manipulatives, and providing practice problems and exercises. It is also beneficial to use a variety of teaching methods, such as lectures, group work, and hands-on activities, to cater to different learning styles.