Analyzing Hookes Law Experiments: Taking it to the Next Step

In summary: Hooke's Law states that the extension (or deflection) of a spring is inversely proportional to the applied force. This law was first formulated by English scientist Robert Hooke in the 17th century. At low loads, there is a reduced amount of extension - can anyone suggest why? This is likely due to the initial tensioning of the spring in question. If this is at the elementary level, then I suggest two different experiments:1. Take two springs with roughly idential spring constant, hook them up in parallel (side by side), and then hand a common mass. Figure out the new spring constant of the system, and see if you can figure out the relationship between the new spring constant
hays_scott
hi can anyone suggest a way to take an analysis of a hookes law experiment at alavel up to "the next step"

at low loads there is a reduced amount of extension - can anyone suggest why? is this due to intial tensioning of teh spring in question?

i have doen all of teh standard analysis i just want someing to make it stand out.

any suggestions

thanks

scott

Physics news on Phys.org
A spring's spring constant determines how it will handle a force, and inhernetly tension. The higher the spring constant, the higher the force required to induce tension in the spring. The proportion is bluntly written in Hooke's Law.

already covered that

i need something to really make it stand out

anyone?

hays_scott said:
at low loads there is a reduced amount of extension - can anyone suggest why? is this due to intial tensioning of teh spring in question?

A spring's deflection based on force goes all the way back to the parent material's properties and the other Hooke's Law. In the elastic range of the material, the strain (in your case deformation) is directly proportional to the load. That is why in some basic FEA applications, the elements used are modeled after springs.

A properly designed spring (a coil spring in your case) will reach it's solid height before reaching it's material's yield point and thus entering a non-linear result. I'd say that unless you want to get into the design or stress analysis of a spring, you may have reached the limit of the scope of your report.

Keep asking questions though. Perhaps we can come up with more.

hays_scott said:
hi can anyone suggest a way to take an analysis of a hookes law experiment at alavel up to "the next step"

i have doen all of teh standard analysis i just want someing to make it stand out.

any suggestions

thanks

scott

You neglected to indicate at what educational level this should be designed for. This info is often left out in many questions being asked on here, and yet, it is a major piece of the puzzle for us to know how elementary or sophisticated of an answer that can be given.

If this is at the elementary level, then I suggest two different experiments:

1. Take two springs with roughly idential spring constant, hook them up in parallel (side by side), and then hand a common mass. Figure out the new spring constant of the system, and see if you can figure out the relationship between the new spring constant with the individual spring constants.

2. Same principle as above, but this time, hang the springs in series, i.e. hook one spring to the other to make a longer spring. Do the same thing and find the new spring constant, and the same analysis.

Zz.

done that and for various other combinations

and expressed mathmatically

What is Hookes Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance is directly proportional to that distance.

What is the purpose of analyzing Hookes Law experiments?

The purpose of analyzing Hookes Law experiments is to determine the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement, and to identify any potential errors or sources of uncertainty in the data.

What are the steps for analyzing Hookes Law experiments?

The steps for analyzing Hookes Law experiments include plotting the data points on a graph, calculating the slope of the line of best fit, determining the spring constant, and comparing the experimental results to the theoretical value.

How do you take Hookes Law experiments to the next level?

To take Hookes Law experiments to the next level, you can explore the effects of changing variables such as the type of spring used, the material of the spring, and the magnitude of the applied force. You can also investigate the limitations of Hookes Law and how it may not apply in certain situations.

What are some common sources of error in Hookes Law experiments?

Some common sources of error in Hookes Law experiments include the spring not being perfectly linear, friction between the spring and the surface it is attached to, and the experimenter not measuring the displacement accurately. It is also important to consider the precision and accuracy of the measuring instruments used.