Variation of Epsilon Delta Proof

In summary: The best way to learn LaTeX is just to start working and google as you need instead of trying to learn it then go."You can find lots of good latex resources with a simple Google search.
Seydlitz

Homework Statement

Prove that if

##\left |x-x_{0} \right | < \frac{\varepsilon }{2}## and ##\left |y-y_{0} \right | < \frac{\varepsilon }{2}##

then

##|(x+y)-(x_0+y_0)| < \varepsilon ## and ##|(x-y)-(x_0-y_0)| < \varepsilon ##

Homework Equations

Postulate and proof with real numbers as well as inequalities.

The Attempt at a Solution

First we understand that the first two statements imply the existence of ##\varepsilon ## such that

##\frac{\varepsilon }{2} - |x-x_0| > 0##

##\frac{\varepsilon }{2} - |y-y_0| > 0##

Hence we can add the two statements.

##\varepsilon - |x-x_0| - |y-y_0| > 0##

##|x-x_0| + |y-y_0| < \varepsilon ##

Considering Triangle Inequality

##|a+b| \leq |a|+|b|##

##|x-x_0+y-y_0| \leq |x-x_0| + |y-y_0| < \varepsilon##

Rearranging

##|(x+y)-(x_0+y_0)| \leq |x-x_0| + |y-y_0| < \varepsilon##

Considering the inequality we can therefore say

##|(x+y)-(x_0+y_0)| < \varepsilon##

The similar reasoning can be done to get

##|(x-y)-(x_0-y_0)| < \varepsilon##

The proof is done as required. ##\blacksquare##

I have not read the chapter about limit yet, since this is taken from Spivak's Calculus problem in prologue chapter. So I might miss some important fact or theorem.

I also hope you guys can give me advice on how to make the above proof smoother or up to the rigorous standard, and additionally to write with LaTex properly. I've spend almost 1 hour just to transfer what I've done in paper to computer. I know I can use my drawing stylus, but I decided to try Latex in spite of that.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
or up to the rigorous standard
I think that is fine.

I would probably use the opposite direction: reduce the formula you want to show to a true statement. That direction is fine, too.

First we understand that the first two statements imply the existence of ε such that
They don't "imply" the existence. You just have to show (your long formula) for all x where ##|x-x_0|<\epsilon## is true. Therefore, in your proof, you can assume that this formula is satisfied - if it is not, you don't have to show anything.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
I think that is fine.

I would probably use the opposite direction: reduce the formula you want to show to a true statement. That direction is fine, too.

They don't "imply" the existence. You just have to show (your long formula) for all x where ##|x-x_0|<\epsilon## is true. Therefore, in your proof, you can assume that this formula is satisfied - if it is not, you don't have to show anything.

Ok thanks for your remark. Is it okay though, to prove a statement from the "then" part back to the "if" part? Is this what you refer by opposite direction?

Do you have any good reference to learn Latex by the way?

Seydlitz said:
Ok thanks for your remark. Is it okay though, to prove a statement from the "then" part back to the "if" part? Is this what you refer by opposite direction?

Do you have any good reference to learn Latex by the way?

You can find lots of good latex resources with a simple Google search.

Yes you can also start from 'then' in this case and work backwards if you would like to.

##|(x + y) - (x_0 + y_0)| = |(x - x_0) + (y - y_0)| ≤ |x - x_0| + |y - y_0|##

In terms of "smooth-ness" you could probably start the proof just from the Triangle Inequality. The first bit seems a little unnecessary. As for LaTeX, I like this site: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/LaTeX:About for quick stuff. The best way to learn LaTeX though is just to start working and google as you need instead of trying to learn it then go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'll check the link out. Thanks for your help guys.

What is the purpose of a variation of epsilon delta proof?

The purpose of a variation of epsilon delta proof is to rigorously show that a given function converges to a specific limit using the concept of limits and the epsilon-delta definition. It is used to prove the convergence of a function without relying on visual or intuitive evidence.

What is the epsilon-delta definition of a limit?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit is a formal mathematical definition used to describe the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value, or limit. It states that for any epsilon greater than 0, there exists a corresponding delta such that if the distance between the input and the limit point is less than delta, then the output of the function will be within epsilon of the limit.

How do you choose an appropriate epsilon and delta for a proof?

Choosing an appropriate epsilon and delta for a proof requires careful consideration and understanding of the function and its limit. Typically, the epsilon value is chosen first based on the desired level of accuracy, and then the delta is determined by manipulating the function and finding a suitable expression that can be used to satisfy the epsilon-delta definition.

What are the common challenges in a variation of epsilon delta proof?

One of the most common challenges in a variation of epsilon delta proof is identifying the appropriate epsilon and delta values to use. It can also be challenging to manipulate the function in a way that satisfies the epsilon-delta definition. Additionally, understanding the concept of limits and how they relate to the function can be difficult for some.

What are some real-world applications of variation of epsilon delta proofs?

Variation of epsilon delta proofs have many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of mathematics and physics. They are used to prove the convergence of series and sequences, as well as to analyze the behavior of functions in calculus. They are also used in physics to analyze the behavior of objects as they approach certain values, such as velocity or acceleration.