Upper Bound for IQ Scores Exceeding 130 Using Chebychev's Inequality

• Thread starter crazedbeat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: I'm not sure if the answer is yes or no.Well, I guess you could define a discrete distribution from a population as taking on each value with probability k/n where k is the number of elements taking on that value, and Chebyshev's theorem would work for that distribution. But what I'm wondering is if it's ever possible to have the full maximum 1/9 on the upper end of the distrubution.
crazedbeat
I thought that Chebychev's inequality is what would be used to solve this question, but the exceeding instead of the or more throws me off. Here is the question from Jim Pitman's book (I am studying for my final...)

Suppose the IQ scores of million individuals have a mean of 100 and a SD of 10.

Without making any further assumptions about the distribution of the scores, find an upper bound on the number of scores exceeding 130.

Thank You. No need for the answer, just I need to know whose inequality/theorem should I use. Though if someone can kindly explain Chebychev's theorem in detail, it would be awesome. He makes no sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
No, it's the probability that X is _not_ within k standard deviations of the mean that is at most 1/k^2. I'm not sure if you can apply it directly here though--I guess if you assume that the probability that X is less than 70 could be 0, you could apply it, but I'm not sure that can happen.

crazedbeat said:
I thought that Chebychev's inequality is what would be used to solve this question, but the exceeding instead of the or more throws me off. Here is the question from Jim Pitman's book (I am studying for my final...)

Suppose the IQ scores of million individuals have a mean of 100 and a SD of 10.

Without making any further assumptions about the distribution of the scores, find an upper bound on the number of scores exceeding 130.

Thank You. No need for the answer, just I need to know whose inequality/theorem should I use. Though if someone can kindly explain Chebychev's theorem in detail, it would be awesome. He makes no sense.
The Chebyshev Inequality takes either of 2 Forms:

[tex] 1: \ \ \ \ P(\mu - k \sigma \ \, \leq \ \, X \ \, \leq \ \, \mu + k \sigma) \ \ \, \color{red}\mathbf{\geq}\color{black} \ \, \ \left( 1 \ - \ \frac{1}{k^2} \right ) [/tex]

[tex] 2: \ \ \ \ P\left(X \ \leq \ \mu - k \sigma \ \ \mathsf{\underline{\ or\ }}} \ \ X \ \geq \ \mu + k \sigma \right) \ \ \, \color{red}\mathbf{\leq}\color{black} \ \ \, \left(\frac{1}{k^2} \right ) [/tex]

Therefore, Form #2 would apply to this problem with (k=3) and would supply the required upper bound of {(1/9) = 11.1% of Population}. This would be conservative since Form #2 is a double-tail upper-bound and only a single-tail upper bound is requested.

~~

Last edited:
Yes, but can it happen that NO observations lie more than 3 standard deviations below the mean AND the maximum number of them lie more than 3 standard deviations above the mean? Using the upper bound from Chebyshev's formula assumes this is possible. Is it?

BicycleTree said:
Yes, but can it happen that NO observations lie more than 3 standard deviations below the mean AND the maximum number of them lie more than 3 standard deviations above the mean? Using the upper bound from Chebyshev's formula assumes this is possible. Is it?
The Chebyshev Inequality states that the TOTAL NUMBER of Population elements Less Than (μ - 3σ) or More Than (μ + 3σ) will have upper-bound of (1/9) of Population. The inequality itself makes no further statement about the specific distribution in those tails.

~~

Last edited:
True, by Chebyshev's theorem the upper bound is 1/9. However the question is whether there are other considerations that also do not depend on the particular distribution that would make the upper bound less than 1/9.

Somewhat irrelevantly, I think that Chebyshev's theorem applies only to distributions and only approximately to populations, but I could be wrong. At least in my book it's only proved for distributions.

BicycleTree said:
Somewhat irrelevantly, I think that Chebyshev's theorem applies only to distributions and only approximately to populations, but I could be wrong. At least in my book it's only proved for distributions.
In previous msgs, "Population" (as opposed to "Sample") is used synonymously with "Distribution". Thus, you're correct in that the Inequality applies rigorously only to Distributions and Populations, but not to Samples from those Populations. For Samples, the Inequality can, of course, provide some approximate info.

~~

Well, I guess you could define a discrete distribution from a population as taking on each value with probability k/n where k is the number of elements taking on that value, and Chebyshev's theorem would work for that distribution. But what I'm wondering is if it's ever possible to have the full maximum 1/9 on the upper end of the distrubution.

Last edited:

1. What is Chebychev's Inequality?

Chebychev's Inequality, also known as Chebyshev's Theorem, is a mathematical concept that relates to the spread of data around the mean of a distribution. It states that for any given set of data, the proportion of values that lie within k standard deviations of the mean is at least 1 - 1/k^2. This means that the larger the value of k, the smaller the proportion of data points that are far from the mean.

2. How is Chebychev's Inequality used in statistics?

Chebychev's Inequality is a useful tool in statistics because it allows us to make statements about the likelihood of values being within a certain range of the mean, without knowing the exact shape of the distribution. This makes it a valuable tool for analyzing data sets that may not follow a normal distribution.

3. What is the difference between Chebychev's Inequality and the Empirical Rule?

Chebychev's Inequality and the Empirical Rule are both used to describe the spread of data around the mean, but they differ in their assumptions about the shape of the distribution. Chebychev's Inequality applies to any distribution, while the Empirical Rule specifically applies to normal distributions.

4. Can Chebychev's Inequality be used to find the exact proportion of data within a certain range?

No, Chebychev's Inequality only provides a lower bound for the proportion of data within a certain range. It does not give an exact value, but rather a statement about the minimum proportion of data within that range.

5. How is Chebychev's Inequality related to the Law of Large Numbers?

Chebychev's Inequality is closely related to the Law of Large Numbers, which states that as the sample size increases, the sample mean will approach the true population mean. Chebychev's Inequality provides a way to quantify how quickly this convergence will happen, by stating that as the sample size increases, the proportion of data within a certain range of the mean will also increase.