Chemistry Help: Forces of Attraction & Repulsion

• Thread starter m0286
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, according to this information, two attractive forces are a small atom where the electrons are closely packed, and an electron, if the elctron approaches a small atom it can get close to the nucleus. Two repulsive forces are a large atom where the electrons arent so closely packed, and an electron. If the electron approaches a large atom the electron will experience repulsion soner, and be further from the nuclues.
m0286
Hi, I am soo stumped. Doing Grade 12 chemistry through independent learning with no teacher is TOUGH!
1 question:
It says:
Identify two repulsive forces and two attractive forces that influences the formation of chemical bonds between two atoms.
~if anyone one could help itd be awesome!
I found something on google, I am not sure if that is what they are asking for but it says: for attractive:
-The orientation effect, or interaction between permanent dipoles;
-The induction effect, or interaction between a permanent dipole and a temporary dipole;
-The dispersion effect or the London force, interaction between temporary dipoles and induced dipoles.
for repulsive
-The orientation effect (dipole-dipole)
-The induction effect (permanent dipole-induced dipole)
-The dispersion effect or London force (temporary dipole-induced dipole)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've provided the same 3 examples for attractive as well as repulsive forces...besides, do you know what they mean ?

Think simpler : What the the main parts of an atom ? What forces exists between such parts ?

Is this right?

Yea.. I wasnt sure what those meant. I have read into it more considering what you said is this right??:

Two attractive forces would be a small atom where the electrons are closely packed, and an electron, if the elctron approaches a small atom it can get close to the nucleus.

Two repulsive forces would be a large atom where the electrons arent so closely packed, and an electron. If the electron approaches a large atom the electron will experience repulsion soner, and be further from the nuclues.
THANKS

Last edited:
Okay, so far you know that each atom has a bunch of (negatively charged) electrons (E), and a (positive) nucleus (N).

For a pair of atoms, let's call these : {E1,N1}, {E2,N2}

How many forces can be drawn between the elements of the above two sets ? (recall set theory and cartesian products, if you wish to, but you don't have to) What are the natures of these forces ?

ILC course

m0286 said:
Hi, I am soo stumped. Doing Grade 12 chemistry through independent learning with no teacher is TOUGH!
1 question:
It says:
Identify two repulsive forces and two attractive forces that influences the formation of chemical bonds between two atoms.
~if anyone one could help itd be awesome!
I found something on google, I am not sure if that is what they are asking for but it says: for attractive:
-The orientation effect, or interaction between permanent dipoles;
-The induction effect, or interaction between a permanent dipole and a temporary dipole;
-The dispersion effect or the London force, interaction between temporary dipoles and induced dipoles.
for repulsive
-The orientation effect (dipole-dipole)
-The induction effect (permanent dipole-induced dipole)
-The dispersion effect or London force (temporary dipole-induced dipole)

Hi I'm taking the same course can you please help me with it.

The problem I see so far is that you are talking about polarity (dipoles), these are effects between two MOLECULES, your question said between two ATOMS.
I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for here, so I'm going to try to keep this simple but in bonding any two atoms, keep in mind that the two nuclei repel each other becuase they both have a positive charge. But a bond is made up of electrons, which have a negative charge. The electrons of one atom can attract the positive nucleus of another atom and create a bond. You can think of electrons as sort of an "electrical glue" between two nuclei, allowing the two nuclei to be drawn closer together. The more electrons involved, the stronger the bond. As far as I know these are the only atractive and repuslive forces that act in a bond between two atoms, perhaps they are looking for 1. repulsion of the two positive nuclei, 2. repulsion of the two electron clouds, 3. attraction of the nucleus of one atom to the other's electrons, and 4. attraction of the nucleus of an atom to its own electrons?

Now WITHIN an atom, there is something known as electron shielding, where the negative charge of electrons close to the nucleus actually repels the electrons that are orbiting farther out (in higher energy levels), but I do not think this effect relates to bonding between two atoms, someone will have to check me on that.
I'd be glad to help more if there is anyway you can be a little more specific with the question?

check table 3-1 on page 78 of the textbook

chemiseasy said:
check table 3-1 on page 78 of the textbook

hahahaa, wow...
the PERFECT answer is right there...

thanks for the tip :)

Okay this forum has actually helped me a lot in the past few weeks. (Have been working on retaking my grade 12 chemistry.) I am taking it at the adult education center in my city and this particular course asks you to read the text on several occasions. The only problem is that they do not provide you with the textbook anymore as it was a part of the old curriculum course.

Does anyone know what is actually written in this mysterious textbook? I cannot see this 'table' so I have no clue where to go with this one.

"Identify two repulsive forces and two attractive forces that influence the formation of chemical bonds between two atoms."

All I can guess is that is has something to do with electronegativity values and the various types of bonding. (Perhaps something along the lines of:

'Repulsive Forces - Large Atomic Radius & Full Valence Shell'
'Attractive Forces - Small Atomic Radius & SomethingSomething' )

I have been out of high school for a few years now so I do not remember doing any work on set theory and Cartesian products if that is supposed to help me. Any websites I can take a look at or anyone with somewhere I can get the actual text from this textbook? Thanks.

1. What are the different types of forces of attraction in chemistry?

In chemistry, there are three types of forces of attraction: London dispersion forces, dipole-dipole interactions, and hydrogen bonding. London dispersion forces occur between all molecules and are caused by temporary imbalances in electron distribution. Dipole-dipole interactions occur between polar molecules and are caused by the attraction between positive and negative ends of the molecules. Hydrogen bonding occurs between molecules with hydrogen atoms bonded to highly electronegative atoms, such as oxygen or nitrogen.

2. How do forces of repulsion affect the properties of molecules?

Forces of repulsion play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of molecules. The strength of these forces determines the melting and boiling points, viscosity, and compressibility of substances. The stronger the forces of repulsion between molecules, the higher the melting and boiling points will be, and the less compressible and more viscous the substance will be.

3. How do forces of attraction and repulsion affect the state of matter?

The strength of forces of attraction and repulsion between molecules determines the state of matter a substance will be in at a given temperature and pressure. If the forces of attraction are stronger than the forces of repulsion, the substance will be in a solid state. If the forces of repulsion are stronger, the substance will be a gas. If the forces of attraction and repulsion are relatively equal, the substance will be a liquid.

4. Can forces of attraction and repulsion be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, forces of attraction and repulsion can be manipulated or controlled through various chemical and physical processes. For example, adding heat to a substance can increase the kinetic energy of its molecules, weakening the forces of attraction and causing it to change state from a solid to a liquid or gas. Additionally, chemical reactions can alter the strength of forces of attraction and repulsion between molecules, leading to the formation of new substances.

5. How do forces of attraction and repulsion contribute to intermolecular forces?

Forces of attraction and repulsion are the two main components of intermolecular forces, which are the forces between molecules. These forces are essential in determining the physical properties and behavior of substances, such as solubility, phase changes, and surface tension. The balance between these forces can also affect the shape and stability of molecules, as well as their ability to interact with other molecules in chemical reactions.