Dear Phobos, Janus, and Self Adjoint

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self
In summary: The conversation begins with a question about why certain ideas must be suppressed and references the Pauli exclusion principle. The speaker then expresses frustration with the suppression of non-mainstream ideas and the tolerance of insulting posts. They also mention the importance of standing alone and articulating new ideas in the advancement of physics. The conversation then turns to discussing a "math optional" theory and the challenges of getting such a theory taken seriously. The speaker then presents the "fine-tuning problem" in quantum cosmology and challenges someone to explain it without using the Pauli exclusion principle or considering the fermionic nature of virtual particles. The conversation ends with a discussion of forums where alternative ideas may be welcome and an invitation to submit ideas to the
turbo
Gold Member
Can you explain why an idea is so dangerous that it must be suppressed? Specifically the concept that the Pauli exclusion principle may be able to explain why the self-gravitation of the quantum vacuum has not yet collapsed the diameter of the universe to a few thousand kilometers (and may be in such fine dynamical balance with the gravitational-energy equivalence of the vacuum to keep the universe stable?)

I have come to expect the suppression of ideas in this forum, the tolerance of personally insulting posts (including name-calling and disparaging statements), and the offhand dismissal of non-mainstream ideas, no matter how compelling and logical. If Einstein, Dirac, or Feynman had posted in this venue, they would have been called names and their ideas would be vilified. I in no way wish to equate myself with these fine people, but wish to point out that each of them stood alone at some point and articulated a vision for the advancement of physics.

It would be instructive to all of us idiots who employ logic if you could list the "forbidden" subjects. Your call. Thanks

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you think a 'math optional' theory of anything [much less everything] is going to be taken seriously here? I don't. That's not science, it's philosophy. Frankly, I doubt any of your other 'critics' will reply to your complaint.

Last edited:
Well, Einstein's GR started as a "thought experiment", and it took him a decade to work out the math, with help. If he had not pursued his intuition, physics would be a much different field today. As for math, you were once fond of needling posters like myself with the phrase "show me the math", yet in those criticisms, you yourself never offer mathematical arguments to support your statements. It is very easy to snipe at others, it is quite another thing to offer guidance and direction.

The fine-tuning problem is the biggest puzzle in quantum cosmology. If you can explain why the expansive pressure of the quantum vacuum and the compressive force of its gravitational equivalence are fine-tuned to 120 OOM so that the universe can exist without collapsing or exploding, you will go meet the king of Sweden. Have at it.

One rule: Since you are so sure that I am wrong, you must solve the puzzle without invoking the Pauli exclusion principle and you must ignore the fermionic nature of the virtual particles of the vacuum. Good luck.

Where can I read more about this puzzle?

There are fora where a 'handwaving' discussion of topics such as this might be welcome (or at least tolerated), for example Alternative Theories in Universe Today, and http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=7ac0ccfa025bfb57aa3288480e205353 in BadAstronomy (the latter has some http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19638 for folk who want to discuss alternative ideas in BA).

I'm not sure if you saw the announcement of Physics Forum's new Independent Research forum, so here is a key part of that (dated 4 July, 2005; note that the name was changed from "Outside the Mainstream"):
As a consequence of this upgrade, all non mainstream posts and threads that were formerly moved to Theory Development will henceforth be deleted. If your post or thread is deleted under this policy you will receive a Private Message indicating such, and you will be invited to resubmit to the new Outside the Mainstream Forum, according to the guidelines of that Forum.
For the avoidance of doubt, let me add that I for one am very interested in challenges to the mainstream. However, I personally am very critical of proponents of ideas that sound great when expressed in word pictures, but who never seem to get around to doing anything with the idea (other than vocally promoting it, extolling its compelling logic, comparing it to some historical work of certain scientists, ...), and specifically, can't even advance it to broad OOM calculation stage.

I join with Phobos, Janus, and SelfAdjoint in inviting you to keep working with your idea, and submit it to the Independent Research forum when you're ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
EnumaElish said:
Where can I read more about this puzzle?
Here

1. What is the significance of the title "Dear Phobos, Janus, and Self Adjoint"?

The title refers to three different concepts that are all related to science and physics. Phobos and Janus are moons of Mars and Saturn, respectively, while Self Adjoint is a mathematical term used in quantum mechanics. The title therefore hints at the themes of space, celestial bodies, and scientific principles that are explored in the book.

2. What is the genre of "Dear Phobos, Janus, and Self Adjoint"?

The book is categorized as science fiction, specifically in the sub-genre of hard science fiction. This means that the story is based on scientific principles and explores their potential impact on society and the universe. However, it also contains elements of adventure and mystery.

3. Who is the author of "Dear Phobos, Janus, and Self Adjoint"?

The author is Katherine Koller, a Canadian playwright and novelist. She has written numerous plays and books, many of which have won awards and been produced internationally. "Dear Phobos, Janus, and Self Adjoint" is her first science fiction novel.

4. Is "Dear Phobos, Janus, and Self Adjoint" suitable for all ages?

The book is recommended for readers aged 12 and up, as it contains some mature themes and language. However, young adults and adults of all ages can also enjoy the story and its themes of adventure, science, and self-discovery.

5. What are some of the major themes explored in "Dear Phobos, Janus, and Self Adjoint"?

The book touches on themes such as exploration, identity, and the relationship between science and society. It also delves into the ethical implications of scientific advancements, as well as the consequences of human ambition and curiosity. Ultimately, the story is about the human desire to understand and explore the unknown.