What is the inverse Fourier transform of e^{-|x|}?

In summary, George was looking for help with a calculus question and was told that the inverse Fourier transform exists and can easily be found in a table. He was also told that partial integration doesn't seem to work and he needs to use the residue theorem.
MrSeaman
Hi,

I got an exam in calculus in a few weeks, and lots of questions coming up. Here's one of them:

We learned that the Fourier Transform of

[tex] f(x) = e^{-|x|} [/tex]
is
[tex] \hat f(\omega) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\frac{1}{1+\omega^2}[/tex]

I've got no problem with this one. Now, since [tex] \hat f(\omega)[/tex] is Lebesgue - integrable, the inverse Fourier transform exists and should be

[tex] \hat \hat f(-x) = e^{-|x|} [/tex]

To show this the 'hard way', I want to calculate the integral

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{1}{2 \pi}} \int \limits_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{1+t^2} e^{i \omega t} \mathrm{d} t [/tex]

Well, I just don't know how to do this one. Partial Integration doesn't seem to work, and I can't find neither a good substition nor a clever use of Fubini's Theorem.

Would be thankful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never seen it derived directly. However, it is easily found in a table of definite integrals.

MrSeaman said:
To show this the 'hard way', I want to calculate the integral

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{1}{2 \pi}} \int \limits_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{1+t^2} e^{i \omega t} \mathrm{d} t [/tex]

One way to do this is by using complex contour integration and the residue theorem.

Integrate

[tex] \int \frac{1}{1+z^2} e^{i \omega z} \mathrm{d} t [/tex]

along the closed contour that consists of the portion of the real axis from [itex]-R[/itex] to [itex]R[/itex] together with a closing counterclockwise semicircle of radius [itex]R[/itex] in the upper halfplane. Let [itex]R\rightarrow \infty[/itex]. Then:the closed contour encloses a pole at [itex]z=i[/itex]; the contibution from the semicircle goes to zero.

Repeat for a clockwise semicircle in the lower halfplane.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
As I was just told, it seems to be done by using the residue theorem of complex analysis.

edit: George was faster, thanks! Working it out...

Related to What is the inverse Fourier transform of e^{-|x|}?

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that allows us to break down a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It takes a time-domain signal and converts it into a frequency-domain representation, showing the amplitude and phase of each frequency component present in the signal.

2. What is the difference between a Fourier Transform and a Fourier Integral?

A Fourier Transform is used for signals that are continuous and periodic, while a Fourier Integral is used for signals that are non-periodic and have a finite duration. The Fourier Integral is a generalization of the Fourier Transform and is used when we cannot apply the regular Fourier Transform.

3. How is the Fourier Transform used in signal processing?

The Fourier Transform is used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals. It allows us to filter out unwanted frequencies, extract important frequency components, and compress or decompress signals. It is also used in image processing, audio processing, and data compression.

4. What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform are inverse operations of each other. The Fourier Transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform converts it back from the frequency domain to the time domain. The Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform form a Fourier pair and are used together in signal processing.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Fourier Transform?

Yes, the Fourier Transform has numerous practical applications. It is used in audio and image compression, data analysis, pattern recognition, and signal filtering. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics for analyzing and understanding complex systems and phenomena.