Simplest question to articulate concepts in General Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for clarification on the complexity of General Relativity (gtr) without having to resort to learning about the formalism on a forum. The speaker mentions receiving helpful responses on the forum but still having misconceptions. They then pose two questions about a homogenous hollow inertial mass sphere and the concept of "flat" space within it. The answer provided states that time dilation is uniform within the sphere and that the space inside can be considered flat according to certain criteria. The conversation ends with gratitude towards the contributors on the forum.
my_wan
I needed to ask a range of questions about gtr without resorting to the complexity of trying to learn about the formalism on a forum. Many good responses were given to other questions on this forum but the inherit complexity of the situation still left room for misconceptions.

Consider a homogenous hollow inertial mass sphere with no rotation in an otherwise flat region of space. As you approach this sphere the curvature increases along with the time dilation. As you pass inside this sphere acceleration drops to 0 but the time dilation remains the same as on the surface.
Questions;
(1) Is the time dilation uniform throughout the inside of the sphere?
(2) Does gtr define the space inside this sphere as flat.

The answer to these deceptively simple questions would provide myself and possibly others with a framework to learn much more about gtr and the formalism. Much thanks to the many intelligent contributors on this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
my_wan said:
I needed to ask a range of questions about gtr without resorting to the complexity of trying to learn about the formalism on a forum. Many good responses were given to other questions on this forum but the inherit complexity of the situation still left room for misconceptions.
Consider a homogenous hollow inertial mass sphere with no rotation in an otherwise flat region of space. As you approach this sphere the curvature increases along with the time dilation. As you pass inside this sphere acceleration drops to 0 but the time dilation remains the same as on the surface.
Questions;
(1) Is the time dilation uniform throughout the inside of the sphere?
(2) Does gtr define the space inside this sphere as flat.
The answer to these deceptively simple questions would provide myself and possibly others with a framework to learn much more about gtr and the formalism. Much thanks to the many intelligent contributors on this forum.

1)
Yes - if time dilation did not remain uniform throught the inside of the sphere, an object would experience gravitational forces. (This comes from the linearized theory).

2)
The exact meaning of "flat" can be debated, but I can't think of any meaningful sense in which the space inside the sphere is not flat. The Riemann curvature is zero, and the metric coefficients are constant inside the sphere, which means that all the Christoffel symbols are zero (another test for flatness).

The only thing that might be a bit confusing is that time does pass at a different rate inside the sphere than outside - this is due to the effect of the metric coefficients being unity at infinity by convention (a Minkowskian metric), and not being unity inside the sphere.

Note that this relates to the oft-heard statement that time dilation is caused by the gravitational potential energy, not by the gravitational field (both of these terms as used here are used in the Newtoniain sense).

pervect said:
The only thing that might be a bit confusing is that time does pass at a different rate inside the sphere than outside - this is due to the effect of the metric coefficients being unity at infinity by convention (a Minkowskian metric), and not being unity inside the sphere.

Thanks pervect. The above quote explains why certain statements have often been confusing in the past. My personal instincts was that the metric coefficients be set at unity for the observers local. Thanks again.

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It explains the force of gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How does General Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between two objects with mass, whereas General Relativity describes gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by mass and energy. General Relativity also accounts for the effects of gravity on the motion of objects in the universe.

3. What are some key concepts in General Relativity?

Some key concepts in General Relativity include the principle of equivalence, which states that the effects of gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable, and the idea of space-time as a four-dimensional continuum.

4. How does General Relativity explain the bending of light around massive objects?

According to General Relativity, massive objects cause a curvature in space-time. When light passes near a massive object, it follows this curved path and appears to be bent. This phenomenon is known as gravitational lensing.

5. Can General Relativity be tested and verified?

Yes, General Relativity has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict the behavior of objects in the universe, such as the bending of light, the orbit of planets, and the motion of stars in galaxies. It has also been confirmed through various experiments, such as the observation of gravitational waves.