Taylor Series Expansion of Analytic Function at x0 = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical notation and convention of defining 0^0 to be equal to 1 for notational convenience, despite it being an indeterminate expression. This is due to the continuity argument, which states that it is more convenient for x^0 to be continuous than 0^y. The conversation also mentions different approaches to handling this notation and the existence of the limit of 0^x as x approaches 0.
lolgarithms
you know this, right?

[tex]f(x) = \sum^{\infty}_{k=0} \frac{f^{(k)}(x_0) (x-x_0)^k}{k!}[/tex]

for an analytic function, at x0 = 0, you have to say that 0^0 equals 1 for the constant term. if 0^0 is indeterminate then how can you just say it's 1 in this case?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because we define it to be so, merely out of notational convenience.

If we didn't do so, we would have to write something like:
[tex]f(x)=f(x_{0})+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{f^{(k)}(x_{0})(x-x_{0})^{k}}{k!}[/tex]

That expression is unnice.

arildno, but the expression that u gave is most mathematically rigorous, isn't it? is the instance of 0^0 called abuse of notation?

The question comes down to continuity. First, consider the expression [itex]x^0[/itex] and take the limit as x goes to zero. If we define [itex]0^0=1[/itex], then the function is continuous. But if we defined [itex]0^0=0[/itex], then it would not be continuous.

Now consider the expression [itex]0^y[/itex] and take the limit as y goes to zero. If we define [itex]0^0=1[/itex], then the function is not continuous. But if we define [itex]0^0=1[/itex], then it would be continuous.

It turns out to be much more convenient for [itex]x^0[/itex] to be continuous than [itex]0^y[/itex] to be continuous, so we define [itex]0^0[/itex] to be the limit of [itex]x^0[/itex] as x passes to zero. I suggest that it's not so much an abuse of notation as a shorthand for the limit.

(hey, 200th post :smile:)

lolgarithms said:
arildno, but the expression that u gave is most mathematically rigorous, isn't it? is the instance of 0^0 called abuse of notation?

Without any EXPLICIT definition of that in this particular case, the expression [itex](x-x_{0})^{0}[/tex] is to be understood as identically equal to 1, yes, then you might call it an "abuse of notation".

However, due to the continuity argument given in the last post, most would regard such explicit definition as needlessly pedantic, and that it is "self-evident" what is meant by the expression.

One question I'd like to ask here then is regarding calculators. My ipod touch's calculator for example (because it was the first thing I reached for, not that I used it for undergraduate astrophysics homework or something) does 0^0 as 1. However I had a graphing program installed on it (for giggles) and it plots x^0 at x = 0 as 0.

Then I plotted it on my regular graphing calculator (TI 83 plus Silver), and X^0 is obviously 1 at all points except 0. Where it says "Y = ". Aka nothing at all.

When you type in 0^0 on that calculator it shows up as error:domain.

So is 0^0 just a fad? Some people say its 1, some people say its indeterminate, no one says its 0?

There are three things you can do:

(1) Don't think about it; just accept it as convention and move on
(2) Redefine exponentiation of real numbers to include 00=1
(3) Do a more careful treatment of mathematical grammar

I much prefer (3) -- I don't like (1) and exponentiation of real numbers isn't really what's going on here, so I don't find (2) justified.

So is 0^0 just a fad? Some people say its 1, some people say its indeterminate, no one says its 0?

And what, exactly, would you say that [itex]\lim_{x\to{0}^{+}}0^{x}[/itex] ought to be?

arildno said:
And what, exactly, would you say that [itex]\lim_{x\to{0}^{+}}0^{x}[/itex] ought to be?

I have no answer to that (aka it's indeterminate), nor was I attempting to be a smart alec as I feel you are judging me to be. I'm just asking if various people treat the value differently because I noticed various calculators treat it differently.

Hint:

The limiting value of that expression is NOT indeterminate. It provably exists. See if you can determine it! :smile:

The answer is 0

protonchain said:
The answer is 0
Quite so.

1. What is a Taylor Series Expansion?

A Taylor Series Expansion is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point. It is used to approximate a function at a certain point, typically around x=0, by adding together terms of increasing powers of x.

2. What is an analytic function?

An analytic function is a function that can be represented by a convergent power series in some open interval around a specific point. This means that the function can be expressed as a sum of terms that are multiplied by powers of x, and as x approaches the specified point, the function approaches a finite value.

3. Why is the Taylor Series Expansion useful?

The Taylor Series Expansion is useful because it allows us to approximate a function with a simpler function that is easier to work with. This approximation can be used to evaluate the original function at values that are difficult to compute directly, or to find the behavior of the function near a certain point.

4. How is the Taylor Series Expansion related to calculus?

The Taylor Series Expansion is related to calculus because it involves derivatives, which are a fundamental concept in calculus. The terms in the expansion are calculated using the derivatives of the function, and the resulting series can be used to evaluate integrals and solve other problems in calculus.

5. What is the significance of expanding a function at x0 = 0?

Expanding a function at x0 = 0 is significant because it allows us to approximate the value of the function at x=0, which is often a point of interest in mathematical and scientific calculations. It also allows us to better understand the behavior of the function near x=0, and can be used to approximate the function at other values using the properties of Taylor Series.