1,000,000,000,000 Frames/Second Photography

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photography
In summary: Technically, it's not a camera, it's an array of 500 sensors, each triggering at very short time period.I found this presentation interesting because at my previous job we were in the "state of the art" for high speed imaging in Department of Energy nuclear science. They are very interested in ultra-high speed imaging, and the best you can do in 2-D (frame) imaging is on the order of 10-50 million frames per second using tube-based individual frames and a single sensor. Digital framing cameras are worse, unless you interleave multiple sensors which can pose several other challenges. In either case, light collection is always an issue in ultra high speed imaging (which MIT solves by multiple integrations of the same scene
Dembadon
Gold Member
I found this demonstration fascinating!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoHeWgLvlXI

Physics news on Phys.org
Dembadon said:
I found this demonstration fascinating!
There was a discussion about this on this forum recently and as I recall there was some opprobrium regarding either the process itself or (more likely) the way it was incorrectly described. I don't mean that anyone thought it was a fake or anything like that, just that it wasn't quite what it purported to be.

Sorry I don't have a link to the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this stuff!

phinds said:
There was a discussion about this on this forum recently and as I recall there was some opprobrium regarding either the process itself or (more likely) the way it was incorrectly described. I don't mean that anyone thought it was a fake or anything like that, just that it wasn't quite what it purported to be.

Sorry I don't have a link to the thread.

Gotcha. I'll hunt it down.

Dembadon said:
Gotcha. I'll hunt it down.

I'd be interested in reading that too

This is a very high speed camera set up at MIT.

Technically, it's not a camera, it's an array of 500 sensors, each triggering at very short time period.

I found this presentation interesting because at my previous job we were in the "state of the art" for high speed imaging in Department of Energy nuclear science. They are very interested in ultra-high speed imaging, and the best you can do in 2-D (frame) imaging is on the order of 10-50 million frames per second using tube-based individual frames and a single sensor. Digital framing cameras are worse, unless you interleave multiple sensors which can pose several other challenges. In either case, light collection is always an issue in ultra high speed imaging (which MIT solves by multiple integrations of the same scene).

For a fundamental leap to MIT's claimed 1 trillion frames per second (100,000 times faster) the MIT research is using "streak" cameras which I'm familiar with as well. See here:

http://web.media.mit.edu/~raskar/trillionfps/
By carefully synchronizing the pulsed illumination with the capture of reflected light, we record the same pixel at the same exact relative time slot millions of times to accumulate sufficient signal
To capture propagation of light in a tabletop scene we need sensor speeds of about 1 ps or one trillion frames per second. To achieve this speed we use a streak tube. The streak camera uses a trick to capture a one dimensional field of view at close to one trillion frames per second in a single streak image. To obtain a complete movie of the scene we stitch together many of these streak images. The resulting movie is not of one pulse, but is an average of many pulses. By carefully synchronizing the laser and camera we have to make sure each of those pulses look the same.

A streak camera is a 1-D time resolved recording device (you might be able to call it a 1-D "video" camera). Using a photocathode, it converts light to electrons in a vacuum and deflects it using electrostatic charge (sort of like an analog TV tube). The resulting electrons then hit a phosphor screen on the back side of the tube which glows and is read-out using a digitizer like a large cooled CCD sensor. It can give you a VERY fast time history of light on a single line. To reconstruct the video we see, they have to take thousands of lines of data over and over and add them together into an image. So this imaging technique can't be used on a single event, only 100% repeatable events.

They also don't tell you a streak camera is fundamentally monochromatic; the color images we see either had to be constructed using individual R,G,B data sets taken separately, or it was added in using software post processing.

Still, its a very pretty picture.

Last edited:

1. How is it possible to capture 1,000,000,000,000 frames per second in photography?

The high-speed photography technique used to capture 1,000,000,000,000 frames per second is known as femtosecond imaging. This method involves using an ultrafast laser pulse to illuminate the subject, and an optical shutter to capture the image at extremely short intervals. The resulting images are then combined to create a video with an incredibly high frame rate.

2. What are the applications of 1,000,000,000,000 frames per second photography?

1,000,000,000,000 frames per second photography has a wide range of applications, including studying ultrafast chemical reactions, capturing high-speed events such as explosions or impacts, and analyzing the dynamics of biological processes. It can also be used in manufacturing and engineering to improve the design and efficiency of products.

3. How does 1,000,000,000,000 frames per second photography differ from traditional high-speed photography?

Traditional high-speed photography typically captures images at rates of up to 10,000 frames per second, while 1,000,000,000,000 frames per second photography can capture events that occur in just femtoseconds (one quadrillionth of a second). This allows for the visualization of extremely fast processes that would be impossible to capture with traditional techniques.

4. What are the limitations of 1,000,000,000,000 frames per second photography?

One major limitation of 1,000,000,000,000 frames per second photography is the amount of data that is generated. Each frame captured contains a vast amount of information, and processing and storing this data can be a significant challenge. Another limitation is the cost of the equipment and expertise required to perform this type of photography.

5. Are there any advancements being made in 1,000,000,000,000 frames per second photography?

Yes, scientists and engineers are constantly developing new techniques and equipment to further improve the capabilities of 1,000,000,000,000 frames per second photography. This includes increasing the resolution and depth of field, as well as reducing the cost and size of the equipment. Additionally, researchers are exploring new applications for this technology in fields such as medicine and astronomy.