Why Does the Summation Use n-1 and i² in This Limit Calculation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula for the sum of n terms and using it to find the limit as n approaches infinity. The conversation also mentions a substitution for sums and the Riemann sum of x² over [0, 1]. The final step in the solution involves writing the sum from i = 1 because the term at i = 0 is 0.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
11.2 nmh{2000}
Find a formula for the sum of $n$ terms
Use the formula to find the limit as $n\to\infty$

$\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}

\sum\limits_{i = 1}^{n}\frac{1}{n^3}(i-1)^2=

\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{1}{n^3}

\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{n-1}i^2$

This was from an solution to the problem but i didn't understand the $n-1$ on top of the $\Sigma$ or how they got the $i^2$ from the given. there are more steps but ?? about this one
thnx ahead

my try at LateX today lots of previewing

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They have replaced i with i+1. It's sort of like a substitution for sums.

Suppose we let k = i-1, then k = 0 when i = 1 and n-1 when i = n, thus we have:

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{n^3}\sum_{i=1}^{n}(i-1)^2 = \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{n^3}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}k^2 $

But k is a dummy variable so we can replace it with, say, i, and we have:

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{n^3}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}k^2 = \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{n^3}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}i^2 = \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{n^3}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}i^2$

Where in the last step we wrote the sum from i = 1 because the term at i = 0 is 0.

Last edited:
well that makes sense... they just didn't mention anything about it...

By the way, this limit is the Riemann sum of x² over [0, 1]:

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{n^3}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}i^2 = \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{n^3}\sum_{i=1}^{n}i^2 = \int_{0}^{1}x^2\;{dx} = \frac{1}{3}.$

https://dl.orangedox.com/GXEVNm73NxaGC9F7Cy

Related to Why Does the Summation Use n-1 and i² in This Limit Calculation?

1. Why is it important to use n-1 instead of n when calculating a summation of data?

Using n-1 instead of n in a summation calculation is important because it accounts for the degrees of freedom in a sample. This means that by subtracting 1 from the total number of data points in a sample, we are able to better estimate the true population variance.

2. Can you provide an example of why using n-1 is necessary?

For example, if we have a sample with 10 data points, using n-1 instead of n in the summation calculation will give us a more accurate estimate of the population variance. This is because when we have a smaller sample size, there is a higher likelihood of overestimating the true variance if we use n instead of n-1.

3. Is using n-1 always necessary for calculating a summation?

No, using n-1 is not always necessary. It is only necessary when we are using a sample to estimate the variance of a population. If we have the entire population data, we can use n instead of n-1 in the summation calculation.

4. How does using n-1 affect the overall result of a summation calculation?

Using n-1 will typically result in a slightly smaller value for the summation compared to using n. This is because by subtracting 1 from the total number of data points, we are accounting for the fact that we are using a sample to estimate the population variance.

5. Are there any alternatives to using n-1 in a summation calculation?

Yes, there are alternatives such as using a different formula that takes into account the degrees of freedom, such as the Bessel's correction formula. However, using n-1 is the most commonly used method and is generally accepted as the best practice for estimating the population variance from a sample.