1kg object and I apply a force of 1N for 1sec, It will move 1/2m

In summary: Joules.In summary, work is the amount of energy transferred by a force acting through a distance. It is a scalar quantity and is expressed in Joules. In the given examples, if a 1kg object is moved 1/2m by a 1N force for 1sec, the work done is 0.5J. Similarly, if the same object is traveling at 10m/s and a 1N force is applied for 1sec, the work done is 10.5J. The direction of the force and motion affect the amount of work done. In a non-resistive environment, no additional force is required to maintain constant velocity, so no work is done
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I'm having trouble understanding work.

Taking an example: If I have a 1kg object and I apply a force of 1N for 1sec, It will move 1/2m and thusI will have done 1/2 (units?) of work, by the equation W=Fs.
But instead, if I consider the same object now traveling at 10m/s and apply a 1N force for 1 sec, the object will travel 10.5m in that time, so now the work done is 10.5?

I don't understand how you can do more work when all you've done is apply the same force to the same object for the same amount of time, but the only difference is that the object in the first case was stationary relative to you, while the other case it was moving. And also, if I applied the force in the direction opposing the motion, less work would have been done than if I applied it in the direction of motion?

Physics news on Phys.org

first of all, how did you work out that the object will only move 0.5m if you apply a 1N force for 1 second to it?

Work is a vector as is force. The work is done by the force in the direction of the force. If an object is already traveling at 10 m/s, the work that you do by applying your 1N for 1 second is the same as in the first example. The force that is causing the object to travel at 10m/s is also doing work of it's own. The work of both together is the total work. Work is just energy and is expressed in Joules [J] usually as this is the SI unit or work and energy.

What's really going to blow your mind is that if you push the object one direction with 1N for 1 second and then push it in the opposite direction with 1N for 1sec and it returns to it's original position, you've done no work. That's the beauty of vectors.

redargon said:
first of all, how did you work out that the object will only move 0.5m if you apply a 1N force for 1 second to it?
By using [itex]s=ut+1/2at^2[/itex]
[itex]a=F/m[/itex] so therefore a=1 and t=1, u=0.

redargon said:
The force that is causing the object to travel at 10m/s is also doing work of it's own.
But there is no force required for the object to move at 10m/s. I'm assuming a non-resistive environment so it will continue at it's usual velocity.

redargon said:
Work is a vector as is force.
What? From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_(physics ) :
mechanical work is the amount of energy transferred by a force acting through a distance. Like energy, it is a scalar quantity,

Last edited by a moderator:

:redface: indeed, my bad.

I think that you are confusing work and power, in the equation for work (force X distance moved) there is no time element, power is work done per unit of time.

Mentallic said:
But there is no force required for the object to move at 10m/s. I'm assuming a non-resistive environment so it will continue at it's usual velocity.

So the object will have an initital kinetic energy of 1/2mv², so (1/2(m)(10)²) and then you will be increasing that kinetic energy to 1/2m(10.5)² by adding your force in the same direction of the motion and work is the change in kinetic energy. So, W = E2-E1 or 1/2m(10.5²-10²)

1. How does the mass of an object affect its movement when a force is applied?

The mass of an object directly affects its movement when a force is applied. In the example given, a 1kg object moving 1/2m after a force of 1N is applied for 1 second is due to its relatively small mass. Objects with larger masses will require more force to achieve the same amount of movement.

2. How does the magnitude of the force applied affect the distance the object moves?

The magnitude of the force applied is directly proportional to the distance the object will move. This means that the greater the force applied, the further the object will travel. In the example given, a force of 1N was applied for 1 second, resulting in the object moving 1/2m.

3. Can the object's movement be predicted if the force and time are known?

Yes, the object's movement can be predicted if the force and time are known. This can be done using the formula F=ma, where F is the force applied, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. By rearranging the formula to find a, the distance the object will move can be calculated using the formula d=1/2at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration is that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the greater its mass, the more force will be required to achieve the same acceleration.

5. How does the direction of the force affect the object's movement?

The direction of the force applied affects the direction of the object's movement. In the example given, the force of 1N was applied in a specific direction, resulting in the object moving in the same direction. If the force was applied in a different direction, the object's movement would also be in that direction due to the force's influence.