[1st CIVIL ENGINEERING],. MECHANCIS

In summary, the first problem asks for a symmetry of forces about a point, while the second asks for symmetry about a plane; however, the two problems do not necessarily have the same requirement.
kougou
Hello

I am in the first year civil engineering course, we are currently learning mechancis. However, I don't get the concept of plane symmetry and symmetrical of forces in 3d problem. so, what's the condition or requirement for symmetry? for the first photo, 1 and 2 are symmetrical about the point a, but then we can't solve it using 2d since force 3 is not on the same plane.

and for photo 2, now it's something I don't understand. The question asks, at what angle of the force does leg 1 and 2 have the same force? i know same force means symmetrical.The answer is zero, but then I don't know why. All 3 legs are equal distance from the point where they intersect, but it doesn't make sense to me that only two of them have the same magnitude of the force while the other one is not. I know when the force is acting along the z-axis only, then the 3 legs will have the same forces. but then, now this case, when angle is zero, the force is acting along the y-axis.
does this mean symmetryl really means symmetrical about a plane instead of a point? My Ta told me that symmetrical is equal distant from a point. And on this question, this doesn't apply.

Thank you

Attachments

• civ.png
    civ.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 645
  • civ 2.png
    civ 2.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 611
Engineering news on Phys.org
no answers? come on guys

You may be ascribing more mystical attributes to symmetry than it actually has. Symmetry is just the basic geometric concept that you grew up with. In engineering (and especially, engineering problems in first and second year classes), symmetry often helps to reduce the complexity of problems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry

Frankly, your diagrams and wording are a little hard to interpret--you may wish to scan in the actual problem statement. For the first diagram (and given the emphasis on symmetry), I'd expect the x-components of 1 and 2 to cancel out, leaving only a y-component balanced out by 3.

I (and probably everybody else who's seen this post) don't understand your formulation of the second problem. However, from your text, I must say that equivalency does not necessarily imply symmetry. Do you know how to resolve vectors into their separate components? I believe that's required for both these problems.

1. What is the purpose of civil engineering?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment. This includes structures such as buildings, roads, bridges, and water supply systems, as well as infrastructure for transportation, communication, and public services.

2. What are the main principles of mechanics in civil engineering?

The main principles of mechanics in civil engineering are statics, dynamics, and mechanics of materials. Statics deals with the analysis of forces acting on stationary structures, while dynamics deals with the motion of structures under the influence of external forces. Mechanics of materials focuses on the behavior of materials used in construction under different loading conditions.

3. How does civil engineering contribute to society?

Civil engineering plays a crucial role in society by providing essential infrastructure and services that improve the quality of life for people. It helps to create safe and sustainable structures, ensure efficient transportation and communication systems, and provide clean water and waste management systems for communities.

4. What are some challenges faced by civil engineers?

Civil engineers face various challenges, including adapting to changes in technology, dealing with complex and constantly evolving building codes and regulations, managing tight budgets and timelines, and addressing environmental and sustainability concerns. They also have to consider the safety and well-being of the public while designing and constructing projects.

5. What skills are necessary to become a successful civil engineer?

To be a successful civil engineer, one needs a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team. Excellent communication and project management skills are also essential, as well as staying updated on industry advancements and regulations.