1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st semester grad school class choices

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    Hi there, fellow physics forums members & guests.

I'm starting the 1st semester of grad school, and I'm faced with a tough choice between two different classes. I could take Intermediate Analysis 1 or Applied Linear Algebra.

The only course I've taken involving proofs is Discrete Math, and I had no problem there. However, I am concerned that since I have never been exposed to Advanced Calculus, the Intermediate Analysis 1 course could destroy me.

On the other hand, I would really need to understand this stuff, if I am going to get a PhD. I am working on a Masters degree, and I would like to move on with my life and start working in the real world.

As far as Applied Linear Algebra goes, I'm not worried. I took Linear Algebra as an undergrad and rocked it.

Anybody have any insights to offer? Is Analysis impossibly hard to understand without prior exposure?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2
    What is intermediate analysis 1? Do you have a course description?

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3
    5318. Intermediate Analysis 1 (3). The real number system, introduction to metric spaces, sequences, continuity, differentiation, Riemann integration, power series, functions of several variables, and differential forms.

I think this is advanced calculus.

Also, Intermediate Analysis 2 had the same description, so I don't think all topics would be covered in one semester.

5. Aug 6, 2014 #4
    Decision made. Taking LA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook