1st semester grad school class choices

In summary, the conversation is about a graduate student trying to decide between two classes for the first semester of grad school - Intermediate Analysis 1 and Applied Linear Algebra. The student is concerned about the difficulty of Intermediate Analysis 1 since they have never been exposed to Advanced Calculus, but they need to understand the material for their future PhD. They are also considering taking Intermediate Analysis 2, but it seems to have the same topics covered as Intermediate Analysis 1. Ultimately, the student decides to take Applied Linear Algebra.
Mogarrr
Hi there, fellow physics forums members & guests.

I'm starting the 1st semester of grad school, and I'm faced with a tough choice between two different classes. I could take Intermediate Analysis 1 or Applied Linear Algebra.

The only course I've taken involving proofs is Discrete Math, and I had no problem there. However, I am concerned that since I have never been exposed to Advanced Calculus, the Intermediate Analysis 1 course could destroy me.

On the other hand, I would really need to understand this stuff, if I am going to get a PhD. I am working on a Masters degree, and I would like to move on with my life and start working in the real world.

As far as Applied Linear Algebra goes, I'm not worried. I took Linear Algebra as an undergrad and rocked it.

Anybody have any insights to offer? Is Analysis impossibly hard to understand without prior exposure?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is intermediate analysis 1? Do you have a course description?

Jorriss said:
What is intermediate analysis 1? Do you have a course description?

5318. Intermediate Analysis 1 (3). The real number system, introduction to metric spaces, sequences, continuity, differentiation, Riemann integration, power series, functions of several variables, and differential forms.

I think this is advanced calculus.

Also, Intermediate Analysis 2 had the same description, so I don't think all topics would be covered in one semester.

Decision made. Taking LA.

I would recommend taking both classes if possible. Both Intermediate Analysis 1 and Applied Linear Algebra are important foundations for any graduate-level work in physics. While you may feel more confident in your understanding of Linear Algebra, Analysis is a fundamental tool for understanding advanced calculus and theoretical physics. It may be challenging at first, but with hard work and determination, you can master the material.

If taking both classes is not an option, I would recommend discussing your concerns with your advisor or other faculty members in the physics department. They can provide insight into the difficulty and importance of each course and help you make an informed decision based on your academic goals and strengths.

Additionally, I would suggest utilizing resources such as study groups, tutoring, and office hours to supplement your understanding of the material. With dedication and support, you can succeed in whichever course you choose. Good luck in your first semester of grad school!

FAQ: 1st semester grad school class choices

1. What classes should I take during my first semester of grad school?

The classes you should take during your first semester of grad school will depend on your program and research interests. It's important to consult with your advisor or mentor to determine which classes align with your goals and will provide a strong foundation for your future coursework.

2. How many classes should I take during my first semester?

This will vary depending on your program and course load, but typically students take 3-4 classes during their first semester of grad school. It's important to balance your workload and not overwhelm yourself, especially as you adjust to the demands of grad school.

3. Can I take classes outside of my program during my first semester?

It is possible to take classes outside of your program during your first semester, but it's important to prioritize your required courses before branching out. It's also important to consider your time and workload, as taking too many classes can be overwhelming and impact your performance.

4. Should I take more difficult classes during my first semester to get them out of the way?

It's important to strike a balance between challenging yourself and managing your workload during your first semester. Taking on too many difficult classes can be overwhelming and negatively impact your performance. It's best to discuss your options with your advisor or mentor to determine the best course of action.

5. Can I change my class schedule during my first semester of grad school?

It is possible to make changes to your class schedule during your first semester, but it's important to do so with caution. Dropping or adding classes can impact your course load and graduation timeline, so it's important to consult with your advisor or mentor before making any changes.