1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st year calc. trig, and inequalities

1. May 10, 2006 #1
    Im stuck on 2 assignment questions and I was hoping to get help on whut I am doing wrong. Its 1st year Calculus

1) It says Given a right angled triangle prove that 1/1+cot^2 X=sin^2 X
    so I know cot=1/tan so 1/tan= 1/(opp/adj) therefore cot=1/(opp/adj) so 1/cot become (this is where it gets messy) opp/adj..?? i think since cot=1/(opp/adj) =adj/opp so 1/cot youd flip it again so opp/adj??? And sin is opp/hyp .. so Im confused how does 1+opp/adj=opp/hyp ... or is that just it and it doesnt??

2) is *Solve the given inequalities giving the solution set of each s an interval or as a union of intervals. x^3 <x/9 so Ive tried and tried I dont know how to solve this one. ive tried bringing x/9 to the other side and find a common denominator but that gives (9x^3-x)/9... and I dont know how to get x on one side and the numbers onthe other... especially since there is an x and a x^3.... Is there a set of rules or something Im forgetting... I also tried mult. both sides by 9 9x^3<x.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2006 #2
    For 1) you should use the fact that cot(x)= cos(x) / sin(x) instead of the adjacent/opposite stuff. Then try to manipulate the given equation to look like an identity that you already know.

4. May 11, 2006 #3
    x^3 < x/9
    Multiply both sides by 9 and move the term on the right:
    9x^3 - x < 0
    x(9x^2 - 1) < 0
    And factorizing further...
    x(3x + 1)(3x - 1) < 0
    You can go on from there. :)
  5. May 11, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Pseudo's method is a good one, but you need to sketch a cubic for the last part (not difficult in itself).

Here's another method.

[tex]x^3 \leq \frac{x}{9}[/tex]

First check that x = 0 is a solution, it is.

Now divide out by x. Separate into two cases.

Case 1 (x positive)

[tex]x^2 \leq \frac{1}{9}[/tex]
    [tex]0 < x \leq \frac{1}{3}[/tex]
    Adding the solution x = 0,
    [tex]0 \leq x \leq \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Case 2 (x negative)
    [tex]x^2 \geq \frac{1}{9}[/tex]
    [tex]x \leq -\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

So the full solution set is [tex](x \leq -\frac{1}{3}) \cup (0 \leq x \leq \frac{1}{3})[/tex]
    Last edited: May 11, 2006
  6. May 11, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For the first problem, I would be inclined to change everything to sine and cosine.
    [tex]cot x= \frac{cos x}{sin x}[/itex] so [itex]\frac{1}{1+ cot^2 x}= \frac{1}{1+ \frac{cos^2 x}{sin^2 x}= \frac{sin^2 x}{sin^2 x+ cos^2 x}= sin^2 x[/itex]
    since sin2 x+ cos2 x= 1.

I'm a bit puzzled by "Given a right angled triangle". That seems to me to imply that the equation is true only if x is an angle in a right triangle but in fact that is an identity, true for all x.
  7. May 11, 2006 #6
    Why do you mean by sketching a cubic?
    You can get the answer directly from Pseudo's last step with no calculations.
    Heard of the wavy curve method ?
  8. May 11, 2006 #7

Homework Helper

No, I must say I haven't. What's the wavy curve method (sounds like something a hairdresser might use :rofl:)?
  9. May 11, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's new to me. What is it? I'm intrigued now :smile:

10. May 14, 2006 #9
    Well, its just a silly name given to a simple method of solving such equations in math (I guess it was coined by some Indian as I see it only in Indian texts).You have probably learnt it under some other name or no name perhaps.
    If you have a polynomial function like (ax+b)(cx+d)....... ,
    and would like to know where the function is +ve or -ve( on the real line of course) just arrange the roots in ascending order as on the no line.
    Start from the rightmost root.All values of the function for x greater than this root are +ve.Then in the interval between the largest and second largest the value is -ve and its goes on alternating between the roots.

As an example , in the above case x(3x+1)(3x-1),
    The roots are -1/3,0,1/3.
    x > 1/3 => expression +ve
    0< x < 1/3 => -ve
    -1/3< x < 0 =>+ve
    x<-1/3 => -ve

Sounds familiar ?

Its called wavy curve because you can draw something of a wiggling worm on the no line.
  11. May 14, 2006 #10

Homework Helper

But that's *exactly* the same as roughly sketching the curve to show the roots!:confused:

Also, don't forget that this method only forms the correct conclusions when the coefficient of the highest power of x is positive. If it's negative, the rule should be reversed for everything.

I'm sorry, this just doesn't strike me as anything to write home about, it's basically the same thing I do when I sketch the curve.:smile:
  12. May 14, 2006 #11
    Sketching a curve or wavy curve its the same thing.
    Just a little misunderstanding there.
    And yeah I forgot about the coefficients.

13. May 14, 2006 #12
    Yes it is!!

Suppose you have in general a cubic function [itex]f(x)[/itex], you can sketch the curve to get a fair idea of the location of roots (using [itex]f'(x)[/itex] which is a quadratic and easy to solve). You can also use negative Rolle's Theorem if its applicable.

As a simple example, if you have something like [itex]x^2 < 9[/itex] (this is too easy), you can write it as

[itex](x-3)(x+3) < 0[/itex]

draw a rough number axis divided into 3 parts: [itex]x < -3[/itex], [itex]-3<x<3[/itex] and [itex]x > 3[/itex]. Write down the sign of the function [itex]x^2 - 9 = (x-3)(x+3)[/itex] in each of these regions. It is clear that the inequality is satisfied for [itex]-3<x<3[/itex]. You can try doing this for cubic functions factorizable as 3 linear functions or a quadratic with complex factors and a linear factor. More examples will help...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?