1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 cylinders intersect, area of resulting parametric surface

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to know if I got the answer correct and if my reasoning is sound. The text answers and solutions manual only gives answers/solutions for odd numbered problems.

Here is the problem: Tko1xFh.png

And a direct link to the imgur page: http://i.imgur.com/Tko1xFh.png

2. Relevant equations

[tex]A(S) = \int \int_D \left|\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v\right|dA[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Instead of trying to come up with a parametric vector equation for the entire surface, I started subdividing the surface as much as possible using symmetry. I got it down to one sixteenth of the whole surface. Basically, just consider the surface in the first octant, and then divide that in two again along the line y = x.

By doing that I get the following:

[tex]A(S) = 16 \times \int\int_D\left|\vec{r}_x\times\vec{r}_y\right|dA[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{r} = \left< x,y,\sqrt{1-x^2}\right>[/itex] and [itex]D = \{(x,y)|0\leq x \leq 1, 0 \leq y \leq x\}[/itex]

so

[itex]\vec{r}_x = \langle 1,0,\frac{-x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_y = \langle 0,1,0 \rangle[/itex]

[tex]\vec{r}_x \times \vec{r}_y = \langle \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}},0,1 \rangle[/tex]

[tex]\left| \vec{r}_x \times \vec{r}_y \right| = \sqrt{1+\frac{x^2}{1-x^2}} = \frac{1}{1-x^2}[/tex]

Now

[tex]A(S) = 16 \times \int_0^1\int_0^x \frac{1}{1-x^2} dydx[/tex]

[tex]A(S) = 16 \times \int_0^1 \frac{x}{1-x^2} dx = -16 \times\left[\sqrt{1-x^2}\right]_0^1 = 16[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't that be$$
    \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}$$

4. Jun 19, 2015 #3
    Typo :) In my original work that typo isn't there.

5. Jun 19, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I haven't tried to follow your working (yet), but a mental calculation using a simpler method gives me 16 also.

6. Jun 19, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

My method:
    Convert the xz plane to polar, measuring theta from lowest point.
    Consider face on the positive x side.
    Between ##\theta## and ##\theta+d\theta##, there is a rectangle measuring ##r.d\theta## by ##2r\sin(\theta)##. Integrate 0 to ##\pi## and multiply by 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted