Calculating Acceleration of Ions in 2D Motion for Cancer Tumor Treatment

In summary: Then use the initial velocity and the time it spends inside the plates to solve for the acceleration.
StephenDoty
You are asked to consult for the city's research hospital, where a group of doctors is investigating the bombardment of cancer tumors with high-energy ions. The ions are fired directly toward the center of the tumor at speeds of 5.50 times 10^6. To cover the entire tumor area, the ions are deflected sideways by passing them between two charged metal plates that accelerate the ions perpendicular to the direction of their initial motion. The acceleration region is 5.0 cm long, and the ends of the acceleration plates are 1.5 m from the patient. What acceleration is required to move an ion 2.0 cm to one side?

Do I use the given velocity as the x componet of the velocity??
Thus giving V0y/v0x=.02m/1.5m
V0y/5.50E6=.02m/1.5m
for the large triangle

then for the acceleration
I use .05m for the s, 0 for V0, but for Vf what do I use to complete Vf^2=v0^2 +2as to find the acceleration??

Thanks
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
forgot the picture

Attachments

• knight_Figure_06_2d.jpg
    knight_Figure_06_2d.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 439
I wouldn't try to find V_f. Split the problem into two parts: one in which there's acceleration, and one in which it's traveling at constant velocity. Combine these two together and you should be able to solve for a. You mostly need to worry about movement along the y-axis only, but the x-axis velocity affects the time the ion spends traveling. It's never changed though.

where do I split it off?
at the acceleration plates?
so v0=0 and vf=5.5E^6 and s=.05m??

And then what would I do for the second part??
make v0=5.5E^6?

Split it off when there is no longer no acceleration. After the plates, it moves in a straight line.

Find the time the particle spends inside the plates and the time it spends moving in a straight line. So, therefore you'll know the initial velocity for when it starts moving in a straight line.

What is the purpose of calculating acceleration of ions in 2D motion for cancer tumor treatment?

The purpose of calculating acceleration of ions in 2D motion for cancer tumor treatment is to accurately predict the trajectory of charged particles (ions) as they move through a two-dimensional space towards a cancerous tumor. This information can then be used to precisely target the tumor with a concentrated beam of ions for radiation therapy, minimizing damage to surrounding healthy tissue.

How is acceleration of ions in 2D motion calculated?

Acceleration of ions in 2D motion is calculated using the fundamental equation of motion, a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the net force acting on the ion, and m is the mass of the ion. In the case of ions in a two-dimensional space, the force can be broken down into its x and y components, and the resulting accelerations can be calculated separately.

What factors affect the acceleration of ions in 2D motion for cancer tumor treatment?

The acceleration of ions in 2D motion can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ion, the strength and direction of the electric field, the mass and charge of the ion, and any external forces acting on the ion. Additionally, the presence of other ions or particles in the space can also affect the trajectory of the ion.

Why is calculating acceleration of ions in 2D motion important for cancer tumor treatment?

Calculating acceleration of ions in 2D motion is important for cancer tumor treatment because it allows for precise targeting of the tumor with radiation therapy. By accurately predicting the path of ions, medical professionals can minimize damage to surrounding healthy tissue and increase the effectiveness of the treatment.

What techniques are used to measure or observe the acceleration of ions in 2D motion?

There are several techniques that can be used to measure or observe the acceleration of ions in 2D motion. These include using specialized equipment such as particle accelerators, ion chambers, and detectors, as well as computer simulations and mathematical modeling. Medical imaging techniques, such as MRI or PET scans, can also be used to track the movement of ions in the body during treatment.