2-dimensional differentiable surfaces

In summary, a recommended book for learning about 2-dimensional surfaces, including geodesics and 3-spheres, is "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Do Carmo. Other suggested books include Millman and Parker's "Elements of Differential Geometry" and Oneill's "Elementary Differential Geometry." However, it is advised to start with a more classical differential geometry book, such as Lee's "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds," before moving on to more advanced texts.
Dragonfall
What is a good book on 2-dimensional surfaces (3-spheres, etc.)?

I need to know about geodesics, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces - Do Carmo.

EDIT: By the way, 3-spheres aren't 2-surfaces embedded in ##\mathbb{R}^{3}##. As you could guess from the name, they are 3-manifolds.

Last edited:
WannabeNewton said:
Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces - Do Carmo.

This is the classic on curves and surfaces! So I second it.

Other nice books are Millman and Parker: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0132641437/?tag=pfamazon01-20
and Oneill: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0120887355/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And then there is of course Lee: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441999817/?tag=pfamazon01-20 But this is not a book you want to read now, start with more "classical differential geometry" first. If you're interested, then you should read this book eventually though.

OK thanks a bunch! I took a course on differential geometry years ago and actually still have my copy of Do Carmo and I need to get re-acquainted with it for thesis reasons.

I can provide some information on 2-dimensional differentiable surfaces. These surfaces are mathematical structures that can be described by two parameters, such as longitude and latitude on a globe. They are smooth and continuous, meaning that they have no sharp edges or corners.

To learn more about 2-dimensional surfaces, I would recommend the book "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo do Carmo. This book covers the fundamentals of 2-dimensional surfaces, including geodesics, curvature, and the Gauss-Bonnet theorem. It also includes examples and exercises to help deepen your understanding of these concepts.

If you specifically want to learn about 3-spheres, I would suggest "Introduction to Topological Manifolds" by John Lee. This book covers the basics of 3-dimensional manifolds, including 3-spheres, and also includes a chapter on geodesics and curvature.

I hope these recommendations help in your understanding of 2-dimensional surfaces and geodesics. Happy exploring!

1. What is a 2-dimensional differentiable surface?

A 2-dimensional differentiable surface is a mathematical concept that represents a two-dimensional shape that can be smoothly curved or bent in all directions. It is commonly used in geometry, calculus, and physics to analyze and study various objects and phenomena.

2. How is a 2-dimensional differentiable surface different from a regular surface?

A 2-dimensional differentiable surface is different from a regular surface in that it has a continuous tangent plane at every point, meaning that it can be smoothly curved or bent in all directions without any sudden changes or breaks.

3. What are some real-life examples of 2-dimensional differentiable surfaces?

Some real-life examples of 2-dimensional differentiable surfaces include the surface of a sphere, a cone, a cylinder, and a torus. They can also be used to model the shape of natural phenomena such as ocean waves or mountain ranges.

4. How are 2-dimensional differentiable surfaces used in science?

2-dimensional differentiable surfaces are used in science to study and analyze various objects and phenomena in a 2-dimensional space. They are particularly useful in physics and engineering for understanding the behavior of fluids, electromagnetic fields, and other physical systems.

5. What are the practical applications of 2-dimensional differentiable surfaces?

There are many practical applications of 2-dimensional differentiable surfaces, including computer graphics, animation, and video game development. They are also used in computer-aided design (CAD) for creating precise and realistic models of objects. In addition, they have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields for solving problems and making predictions about real-world systems.