How Long Does It Take for a Launched Ball to Hit the Wall?

• Thread starter Huski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the ball is launched from (0,0) with an initial speed of 18.0 m/s at a 60 degree angle above the horizontal. It starts at the floor and 20.0 m left of a wall. The ball hits the wall at some time, and using equations for the x and y directions, it can be solved that the ball hits the wall after 2.22 seconds.
Huski

Homework Statement

*see attachment*[/B]
A ball is launched from (0,0) with an initial speed of 18.0 m/s at a 60 degree angle (as shown above) above the horizontal. The ball starts at the floor and 20.0 m left of a wall. Neglect air resistance. The ball hits the wall at some time.

A. Calculate when the ball hits the wall.

Homework Equations

[/B]
1.) [itex]v_{f}=v_{i}+at[/itex]

2.) [itex]x=x_{o}+v_{ox}\cdot t+\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot a_{x}\cdot t[/itex]

3.) [itex]y=y_{o}+v_{oy}\cdot t+\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot a_{y}\cdot t[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:
[itex]v_{o}=18m/s[/itex]
[itex]x_{o}=0m[/itex]
[itex]y_{o}=0m[/itex]
[itex]x_{wall}=20m[/itex]
[itex]v_{ox}=18cos(60°)[/itex]
[itex]v_{oy}=18sin(60°)[/itex]
[itex]a_{x}=0[/itex]
[itex]a_{y}=-9.8m/s^2[/itex]

I solved for the vector components
[itex]v_{ox}=18cos(60°)=15.6m/s[/itex]

[itex]v_{oy}=18sin(60°)=9m/s[/itex]

I don't know my y component of how high the ball will go and if I solve for the y-component (equation 3), I have all the variables except for the 'y' on the left hand of the equation. I need to solve for 't' (time), but I don't know how to get y first? The y on the left side is the final height. Usually, I deal with problems when the ball hits the ground and I can set y = 0 (since 0 is the ground). Here, the ball hits the wall and we are not sure what y (the final height) is equal to, any hints? Thank you.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 443
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
None of the numbers in your equations match the statement problem or the diagram (the statement and diagram don't match each other). Please present one consistent problem and show your calculations for that problem.

Likes Huski
That was an accident. I had two different problems and I copied the wrong one, let me edit that.

Huski said:
18cos(60°)=15.6m/s
Try that again. And the vy.

Your equations 2 and 3 seem to be missing something at the end.

Try working with the x direction first.

Likes Huski
Oh, I need to solve for x, okay thanks.

[itex]x=x_{o}+v_{ox}t+\dfrac{1}{2}(0)t^2[/itex]

[itex]20=0+9t+\dfrac{1}{2}(0)t^2[/itex]

[itex]20=9t[/itex]

[itex]t=2.22 seconds[/itex]

I think this will give me the time the ball hits the wall? So we don't care about the y-direction?
Also, I forgot to square the two t in the 2 and 3 equations. Thanks for that.

Fixes:
[itex]18\cos(60)=9m/s[/itex]

[itex]18\sin(60)=15.6m/s[/itex]

[itex]x=x_{o}+v_{ox}\cdot t+\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot a_{x}\cdot t^2[/itex]

[itex]y=y_{o}+v_{oy}\cdot t+\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot a_{y}\cdot t^2[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Long Does It Take for a Launched Ball to Hit the Wall?

1. What is 2-Dimensional Motion?

2-Dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two directions, typically represented by the x and y axes in a coordinate system. This type of motion can include both linear motion (movement in a straight line) and projectile motion (movement in a curved path due to the influence of gravity).

2. How is 2-Dimensional Motion different from 1-Dimensional Motion?

2-Dimensional motion involves movement in two directions, while 1-Dimensional motion only involves movement in one direction. This means that 2-Dimensional motion is more complex and can be described using both x and y coordinates, while 1-Dimensional motion only requires one coordinate.

3. What are some real-life examples of 2-Dimensional Motion?

Some real-life examples of 2-Dimensional motion include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, or moving a piece on a chess board. These actions involve both horizontal and vertical movement, making them 2-Dimensional.

4. How is 2-Dimensional Motion mathematically represented?

In mathematics, 2-Dimensional motion is represented using equations that involve both x and y variables. These equations can be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in 2-Dimensional motion.

5. What factors can affect 2-Dimensional Motion?

Some factors that can affect 2-Dimensional motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can impact the trajectory and speed of the object in 2-Dimensional motion.