2 identical charges @ x=a & x=-awhere does E field vanish?

In summary, you can find the y-component of the electric field by calculating Ey(y), which is the basic equation, and then using calculus to find the maximum.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

Determine at what point or points (not including points at infinity) the electric field vanishes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this seems to be a conceptual question and as I must be missing the concept, I don't know how to attempt to even think about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I didn't catch that thread - thank you!
However, quick question then - if my question says that my charges are identical and both the same distance away from the origin on the x-axis (a and -a), then because the charges are equal, wouldn't their fields be equal at the origin and thus cancel out, and so then the answer would be that the electric field vanishes at the origin because that's where the electric field of the charges is equal?

Please let me know if that is okay reasoning, or if it really is required to go through the algebra to deduce it. Thanks :)

That's how I would do it :D

Okay, cool. Thanks for directing me to that post - otherwise, I wouldn't have read the part that said 'E1 is equal to E2' and it wouldn't have clicked what my conclusion to my own question is ten.

If I could just get help with another part of this question..?
The next part asks to find an expression for the y component of the electric field on the y-axis as a function of y. So I just drew a point charge on the y-axis some distance up and made a triangle between the two Q charges and the point charge. Taking just the right triangle, I use sine to get sin([itex]\theta[/itex])=Ey/E. Then, using F = kQ2/r2 and r2 = sqrt(a2+y2)... I get
Ey = (2kQ2sin([itex]\theta[/itex])) / (q0 sqrt(a2+y2))

Is that the correct expression? I'm confused because then the next part asks to "Find the point(s) on the y-axis where the magnitude of Ey is a maximum." This means I need to find where the derivative is zero, so dEy = 0.
However, I don't know have any values for quantities. But I suppose all the variables are constant except for y, right? So now I just need to remember how to do calculus from back in the day.

My question here is just - is that the right way to go about it?

Your answer is a bit confusing, you should try to be more schematic... I mean, I think you got it almost right, but it lacks something, and thinking more schematically can and will help you.
This is what I mean:

1. You are looking at the electric field, so (though useful) you don't actually need the point charge q0.

Now, as you did implicitly, let's make some symmetrical analysis:
2. The situation is axial-symmetrical: so, we can calculate Ey of one charge and then (in this case) double it to consider the effect of the other one.

3. Now your turn: since you need the dependence of the electric field from the y-component, let's calculate Ey(y). Which is the basic equation? How do you get the y-component?

4. How do you calculate Ey depending only from y? (Here is the problem with your answer: your Ey depends on y, but also on teta! This makes taking the derivative a very complex task.)

5. You need to find the maximum... all right then, back to calculus! :D As you said, you need to find the Y so that dEy(Y)=0.

Hope it helps. You were almost there, so if you like you can just use your result (Ey = (2kQ2sin(θ)) / (q0 sqrt(a2+y2))) and consider only points 4 and 5 to go on.

Remember to replace sin(teta) with some y-dependent expression before deriving. This is the main thing to do.

1. At what points does the electric field vanish for 2 identical charges located at x=a and x=-a?

The electric field will vanish at any point on the line connecting the two charges, also known as the line of symmetry. This means that the electric field will be zero at x=0, or the midpoint between the two charges.

2. What is the direction of the electric field at the points where it vanishes?

The direction of the electric field at the points where it vanishes will depend on the location of the test charge. If the test charge is placed on the line of symmetry between the two charges, the direction of the electric field will be perpendicular to the line. If the test charge is placed off the line of symmetry, the direction of the electric field will be parallel to the line.

3. Can the electric field ever be zero at any other points?

No, the electric field can only be zero at points on the line of symmetry between the two charges. Any other point in space will have a non-zero electric field due to the presence of the two charges.

4. How does the distance between the two charges affect the points where the electric field vanishes?

The distance between the two charges will not affect the points where the electric field vanishes. As long as the two charges are identical and located at x=a and x=-a, the electric field will always vanish at the line of symmetry between them.

5. Is there a specific formula or equation to determine the points where the electric field vanishes for 2 identical charges?

Yes, the points where the electric field vanishes for 2 identical charges can be determined using the formula x=0. This formula represents the line of symmetry between the two charges, where the electric field will be zero.