2 masses, pulley on a frictionless incline

In summary, the problem involves a 1.7 kg mass on a 30.5° incline connected to a 6.4 kg mass on a horizontal surface via a frictionless pulley. The question asks for the magnitude of the tension in the connecting cord, given a force of 13.3 N pulling the second mass up the incline. The student is struggling with solving the problem and is asking for assistance.
epyon346
http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hrwc5f51km4.gif
A 1.7 kg mass, m2, on a 30.5° incline is connected to a 6.4 kg mass, m1, on a horizontal surface. The surfaces and the pulley are frictionless. If F = 13.3 N, what is the magnitude of the tension in the connecting cord?
I've tried solving this by examining all the forces on both of the masses, but I can't seem to get it right (the homework is online through LON-CAPA). We haven't done anything relating to tension in class, and the book is somewhat unclear. A step in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It appears that the image isn't working, so to make it clear, mass 2 is sitting on an incline (not off the edge) of 30.5 degrees and the pulley is in bottom of the incline while mass 1 is on a horizontal surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wish I could help, but the value of "F" listed above as 13.3 N seems a bit vague, what exactly is that referring to?

Wow, sorry I forgot to mention that. Wish the picture worked.

The force of 13.3 N is pulling mass 2 up the incline parallel to the incline itself.

What is the concept of "2 masses, pulley on a frictionless incline"?

The concept refers to a system where two masses are connected by a rope that passes over a pulley which is placed on a frictionless incline. This setup is often used in physics experiments to demonstrate principles of motion and energy.

How does the mass of the pulley affect the system?

The mass of the pulley does not affect the system as long as it is considered to be a point mass. This means that it has no rotational inertia and does not add any additional forces to the system.

What is the relationship between the two masses in this system?

The two masses are connected by a rope that passes over a pulley, which means they are inextricably linked. This relationship allows for the transfer of forces and the motion of the masses.

How does gravity affect the motion of the masses in this system?

Gravity is the driving force behind the motion of the masses in this system. It causes the masses to accelerate towards the ground, and the incline determines the direction and magnitude of the acceleration.

What is the role of friction in this system?

In this system, friction is assumed to be negligible or non-existent. This allows for simplified calculations and demonstrations of concepts. In real-world scenarios, friction would play a significant role in the motion of the masses.