1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Perpendicular oscillations

1. Jul 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have 2 perpendicular oscilations and I have to find the trajectory equation.

$$x=A\cos\omega t\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (1)$$
    $$y=B\cos(\omega t+\Delta\phi)$$

2. Relevant equations

$$\cos (x+y) =\cos x\cos y -\sin x\sin y$$
    $$\cos^{2} x+\sin^{2} x =1$$

and from (1)
    $$\cos\omega t =\frac {x}{A}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I basicaly spent 2 hours trying to algebraicaly manipulate the equation

The closes I could get was:

$$\frac {y^{2}} {B^{2}} -2\frac {xy} {AB}\cos\Delta\phi + \frac {x^{2}} {A^{2}}\cos^{2}\Delta\phi = (1 - \frac{x^{2}} {A^{2}} )sin^{2}\Delta\phi\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (2)$$

The end result should be:
    $$\frac {x^{2}} {A^{2}} +\frac {y^{2}} {B^{2}}-2\frac {xy} {AB}\cos\Delta\phi=sin^{2}\Delta\phi \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (3)$$

I have no ideea how to get from (2) to (3). :mad:

Thank you in advance for reading this wall of text.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2015 #2
    I'm not sure what you want. You already have parametric trahectory equations: x(t) = stuff; y(t) = other stuff

Do you want a coordinate equation y(x)?

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3
    I don't know how to get from (2) to (3). I want to know the steps I have to make to get from (2) to (3)...

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We need to see the details: what are the steps you took to get to your (2)? Perhaps you made some errors, but we cannot tell until you show us.

For the record: I get the result (3).

BTW: your equation ##\cos x+y =\cos x\cos y -\sin x\sin y## is almost certainly false, as it says ## y + \cos x =\cos x\cos y -\sin x\sin y##, which is untrue for most ##x,y##. However, an equation such as ##\cos (x+y) =\cos x \cos y -\sin x \sin y## is true for all real ##x,y##.

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5
    sorry it was a typo ... well the stepps I took are the following
    I expanded the cos function of $$y=B\cos(\omega t+\Delta\phi)$$
    and replaced all the $$\cos\omega t$$ with $$\frac {x}{A}$$
    then I transformed the $$\sin\omega t$$ into $$\sqrt{1 - \frac{x^{2}} {A^{2}}}$$
    In the end I divided everything by B and squared everything to get rid of the root.

7. Jul 22, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Transforming ##\sin(\omega t)## into ##\sqrt{1 - \cos^2(\omega t)}## is a mistake, as it eliminates the parts where ##\sin(\omega t) < 0##. The point is that, by definition, ##\sqrt{ \cdot } \geq 0## for any real argument, but sometimes you want to have ##\sin(\omega t) = - \sqrt{1 - \cos^2(\omega t)}##. It is a lot easier to just use ##u = \cos(\omega t), v = \sin(\omega t)## and then express ##x(t), y(t)## in terms of ##u,v##. Of course, ##u^2 + v^2 = 1## for all ##t##.

8. Jul 22, 2015 #7
    Ur wrong. I figured it out with a little help from someone else. Had to multiply the right parenthesis with $$\sin^{2} \Delta \phi$$ , move the second term to the left side, factorise out $$ \frac {x^{2}} {A ^{2}} $$ and then the remaining equation is identical to (3)

reminder of what I had
    $$\frac {y^{2}} {B^{2}} -2\frac {xy} {AB}\cos\Delta\phi + \frac {x^{2}} {A^{2}}\cos^{2}\Delta\phi = (1 - \frac{x^{2}} {A^{2}} )sin^{2}\Delta\phi\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (2)$$

and where I got

$$\frac {x^{2}} {A^{2}} +\frac {y^{2}} {B^{2}}-2\frac {xy} {AB}\cos\Delta\phi=sin^{2}\Delta\phi \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, (3)$$

9. Jul 22, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I am NOT WRONG. Writing ##\sin(r) = \sqrt{1 - \cos^2(r)}## can be incorrect, and by definition of the function ##\sqrt{ \cdot }##, it is ##\geq 0## for all real arguments. Those are just plain facts.

These issues have been explained over and over again, many times, in numerous discussions in this forum. I did not make these things up.

Aside from that, whether of not expressing ##x,y## in terms of ##u,v## and then using ##1 = u^2 + v^2## is easier or harder than some other way is largely a matter of opinion; I found it easier.

10. Jul 22, 2015 #9
    Ur wrong in the sense that saying what you just said is not getting me closer to solving the problem. But thank you anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted