1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 quantum questions

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Consider a beam of z-oriented electrons, 80 % up, 20 % down which is passed through an x-oriented Stern-Gerlach machine. What percentage of electrons are measured in the +/- x-directions?

2. Consider deuterium. Nuclear spin = 1 with 1 electron orbiting in the n =1 state. Write down the ket for the total angular momentum [itex]|\frac{3}{2} \frac{1}{2}\rangle[/itex] as a linear combination of composite states.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I write the eigenstates of [itex]S_z[/itex] in a superposition [itex]\sqrt{0.8} (1,0)^T + \sqrt{0.2} (1,0)^T[/itex] (where T denotes transpose) and set it equal to an linear combination of the [itex]S_x[/itex] eigenstates [itex]a(1,1)^T + b(1,-1)^T[/itex]. Solving for a and b I get 45 % and 5 %. Interestingly they don't add to 100 % which was what I was expecting. Is this physically reasonable?

2. Do I just write [itex]|3/2,3/2\rangle = |1,1\rangle |1/2,1/2 \rangle[/itex] and apply lowering operators? I can do this because l = 0 so there is no orbital contribution to the angular momentum right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Consider a beam of z-oriented electrons, 80 % up, 20 % down"

This does not mean the WF you wrote. Each electron would be either pure up or pure down, and 1/2 would go each way in the z direction, just as for an umpolarized beam.
    A problem here is that the usual SG experiment does not work for charged particles.

4. Nov 5, 2007 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct for 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?