Split 24 Vdc Input into Dual 12 Vdc Outputs: Power Divider Product Available?

• Thread starter DC1101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation is about finding a product that can split a 24 Vdc/6.25 Amps input into two 12 Vdc/3 Amps outputs. Suggestions were made for a DC-DC converter, linear regulators, and switch-mode buck converters. The use of a buck converter was recommended due to its efficiency, and a specific product, the LM5642, was suggested for its dual output capabilities. The person seeking help expressed gratitude and mentioned that they were not familiar with this type of project.
DC1101
I'm a newbie and I apologize for not conducting a thorough search of the site before posting.

I need to know if there is a product available that will "split" input of 24 Vdc/6.25 Amps into two (2) outputs of 12 Vdc/3 Amps each. Anyone here know of such a thing or am I better off building something myself?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
i was going to suggest DC-DC converter but i don't think they have any like that. How about just 2 12V linear regulator

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=2556290;keywords=12v%20regulator

filter the search for 3A output. You can just use a TO type package or could go smd getting D2PAK

Linear regulators are going to be very inefficient if they have to drop 12V and source 3A. They will dissipate a very large amount of heat.

Look into switch-mode buck converters instead.

- Warren

chroot said:
Linear regulators are going to be very inefficient if they have to drop 12V and source 3A. They will dissipate a very large amount of heat.

Look into switch-mode buck converters instead.

- Warren

i guess yeah 3A and 12V drop does seem a lot. buck converter is going to be noisy though but would be more efficient.

Most applications that demand 3A of current are not particularly sensitive to noise. DC1101, you might want to tell us more about your needs -- ripple tolerance, etc.

- Warren

Not really sure of my needs - I'm a bit (understatement) out of my realm here. The robotics project is limited to one power source of 24Vdc/6.25A - I just had an idea of splitting the source evenly and powering two units instead of one. I've tried searching but I'm not really sure of what it is I am looking for and I simply cannot phrase it correctly to make google happy. All input GREATLY appreciated!

here's a buck converter
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=AP1501-12K5LDICT-ND

Most semiconductor companies that make power products should have something reasonably appropriate. Do a parametric search on their websites. Here's one from National that's 90% efficient:

http://www.national.com/pf//LM/LM25576.html

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, Warren - you got me going in the right direction. The LM25576 only has a single output - the LM5642 has the dual output I require. Thanks again!

1. What is a 24 Vdc Power Divider?

A 24 Vdc Power Divider is a device used to distribute power from a single 24 Vdc power source to multiple output channels. It is commonly used in electronic and electrical systems to provide a stable and consistent power supply to various components.

2. How does a 24 Vdc Power Divider work?

A 24 Vdc Power Divider takes in a single input voltage of 24 Vdc and splits it into multiple output channels. This is achieved through the use of internal circuitry and components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. The power divider ensures that each output channel receives the correct voltage and current for optimal performance.

3. What are the benefits of using a 24 Vdc Power Divider?

One of the main benefits of using a 24 Vdc Power Divider is that it allows for the efficient distribution of power to multiple components, reducing the need for individual power sources. This can save space, reduce costs, and simplify the overall system design. Additionally, a power divider can help to regulate and stabilize the power supply, ensuring consistent and reliable performance of the connected components.

4. Can a 24 Vdc Power Divider be used with different input voltages?

No, a 24 Vdc Power Divider is designed specifically for use with a 24 Vdc input voltage. Using a different input voltage can damage the internal components and result in incorrect power distribution. It is important to carefully select a power divider that is compatible with the input voltage of your system.

5. What are some common applications for a 24 Vdc Power Divider?

A 24 Vdc Power Divider is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings for powering electronic and electrical equipment such as sensors, motors, and control systems. It is also used in automotive and marine applications, as well as in telecommunications and data centers. Essentially, any system that requires a stable and consistent 24 Vdc power supply can benefit from using a power divider.