Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

24 Vdc Power Divider

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    I'm a newbie and I apologize for not conducting a thorough search of the site before posting.

I need to know if there is a product available that will "split" input of 24 Vdc/6.25 Amps into two (2) outputs of 12 Vdc/3 Amps each. Anyone here know of such a thing or am I better off building something myself?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
  4. Feb 20, 2008 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Linear regulators are going to be very inefficient if they have to drop 12V and source 3A. They will dissipate a very large amount of heat.

Look into switch-mode buck converters instead.

- Warren

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    i guess yeah 3A and 12V drop does seem a lot. buck converter is going to be noisy though but would be more efficient.

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most applications that demand 3A of current are not particularly sensitive to noise. DC1101, you might want to tell us more about your needs -- ripple tolerance, etc.

- Warren

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6
    Not really sure of my needs - I'm a bit (understatement) out of my realm here. The robotics project is limited to one power source of 24Vdc/6.25A - I just had an idea of splitting the source evenly and powering two units instead of one. I've tried searching but I'm not really sure of what it is I am looking for and I simply cannot phrase it correctly to make google happy. All input GREATLY appreciated!

8. Feb 20, 2008 #7
  9. Feb 20, 2008 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most semiconductor companies that make power products should have something reasonably appropriate. Do a parametric search on their websites. Here's one from National that's 90% efficient:

http://www.national.com/pf//LM/LM25576.html

- Warren

10. Feb 21, 2008 #9
    Thanks for the info, Warren - you got me going in the right direction. The LM25576 only has a single output - the LM5642 has the dual output I require. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?