Final Speed of Particle: 2D Motion Problem

In summary: You went wrong by trying to find the displacement vector without taking into account the initial conditions.
blayman5

Homework Statement

A particle moving at a velocity of 5.2 m/s in
the positive x direction is given an accelera-
tion of 5.3 m/s2 in the positive y direction for
9.9 s.
What is the final speed of the particle?
Answer in units of m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied the acceleration by the time to get velocity.
I found the resultant velocity between the two vectors which was 52.7. Is that the same as the final speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
We're looking at a scenario where object's original speed in the y-direction is 0. Then they accelerated it in the y-direction, so the final speed will represent a line going diagonally through the first quadrant of a Cartesian coordinate system.
Acceleration is defined as change of speed over a period of time. So basically:
a = (vf - vi)/(change in t)
vf = at + vi = 5.3 m/s2 * 9.9s + 0 m/s = 52.47m/s <= in y-direction.

Speed in x-direction is 5.2m/s. So its a triangle with one side being 52.47m/s and the other one 5.2m/s. Using regular Pythagorean theorem, the resultant speed (the hypotenuse, essentially) is 52.73m/s. According to significant digits, the right answer should be 53m/s.

So what you found is indeed the right answer. Good job!

thanks Melawrghk

A particlemoves in the xy plane with constant
acceleration. At time zero, the particle is at
x = 6 m, y = 1.5 m, and has velocity ~vo =
(3.5 m/s) ˆı + (−6 m/s) ˆ . The acceleration is
given by ~a = (5.5 m/s2) ˆı + (6 m/s2) ˆ.

What is the magnitude of the displacement
from the origin (x = 0 m, y = 0 m) after
2.5 s? Answer in units of m

I was wondering if you have a unit vector 17.25i+9j and a starting vector of 6.18466m of the displacement vector. how could you find the magnitude of the displacement after 2.5 sec.

I found the meters off of the resultant vector by multiplying the resultant by 2.5. Then i found the magnitude of the displacements. Where did i go wrong?

1. What is the final speed of a particle in 2D motion?

The final speed of a particle in 2D motion can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the final speed is equal to the square root of the sum of the square of the x-component velocity and the square of the y-component velocity.

2. How do you find the x and y components of a particle's velocity?

The x and y components of a particle's velocity can be found by breaking down the overall velocity vector into its horizontal and vertical components. This can be done using trigonometric functions and the angle of the velocity vector.

3. Can the final speed of a particle in 2D motion be greater than its initial speed?

Yes, the final speed of a particle in 2D motion can be greater than its initial speed if the particle is accelerating or if there is a change in direction of its velocity vector.

4. How does acceleration affect the final speed of a particle in 2D motion?

Acceleration can increase or decrease the final speed of a particle in 2D motion, depending on the direction and magnitude of the acceleration vector. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the final speed will increase. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the final speed will decrease.

5. Is the final speed of a particle in 2D motion affected by air resistance?

Yes, the final speed of a particle in 2D motion can be affected by air resistance. Air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the particle's motion, and it can decrease the final speed of the particle by reducing its acceleration.