1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D motion problem

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moving at a velocity of 5.2 m/s in
    the positive x direction is given an accelera-
    tion of 5.3 m/s2 in the positive y direction for
    9.9 s.
    What is the final speed of the particle?
    Answer in units of m/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    I multiplied the acceleration by the time to get velocity.
    I found the resultant velocity between the two vectors which was 52.7. Is that the same as the final speed?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2
    We're looking at a scenario where object's original speed in the y-direction is 0. Then they accelerated it in the y-direction, so the final speed will represent a line going diagonally through the first quadrant of a Cartesian coordinate system.
    Acceleration is defined as change of speed over a period of time. So basically:
    a = (vf - vi)/(change in t)
    vf = at + vi = 5.3 m/s2 * 9.9s + 0 m/s = 52.47m/s <= in y-direction.

Speed in x-direction is 5.2m/s. So its a triangle with one side being 52.47m/s and the other one 5.2m/s. Using regular Pythagorean theorem, the resultant speed (the hypotenuse, essentially) is 52.73m/s. According to significant digits, the right answer should be 53m/s.

So what you found is indeed the right answer. Good job!

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    thanks Melawrghk

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4
    A particlemoves in the xy plane with constant
    acceleration. At time zero, the particle is at
    x = 6 m, y = 1.5 m, and has velocity ~vo =
    (3.5 m/s) ˆı + (−6 m/s) ˆ . The acceleration is
    given by ~a = (5.5 m/s2) ˆı + (6 m/s2) ˆ.

What is the magnitude of the displacement
    from the origin (x = 0 m, y = 0 m) after
    2.5 s? Answer in units of m

I was wondering if you have a unit vector 17.25i+9j and a starting vector of 6.18466m of the displacement vector. how could you find the magnitude of the displacement after 2.5 sec.

I found the meters off of the resultant vector by multiplying the resultant by 2.5. Then i found the magnitude of the displacements. Where did i go wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?