How can I solve a 2D motion problem with angles and components?

In summary, the conversation discussed a 2D problem involving angles and components in a physics class. The equation x=xo[SUB]+v[SUB]ot+1/2at2 was used to find the answer, but the student was unsure how to solve it. The teacher used a calculator to get x=11.9 degrees as the correct answer. A hint was given to use a Pythagorean Trig Identity to express 1/cos2x in terms of tanx.
moondawg

Homework Statement

In class we had a 2D with angles and components question.

Homework Equations

To find the answer I eventually got to the x=xo+vot+1/2at2 equation and came up with ***-4.9(28/37cosx)2+28tanx-3***

The Attempt at a Solution

But once I got to this point I did not know how to solve it. I would think to plug it into the quadratic formula but how can i do that if my supposed x and x2 values are not the same? One has a coefficient and cosx and the next is tanx. My teahcer plugged it into his advanced(/cheater) calculator and got x=11.9 degrees which is the right answer but i do not have that kind of calculator and do not know where to go from the equation above.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Using one of the Pythagorean Trig Identities (look them up!) you can express 1/cos2x = sec2x in terms of tanx.

1. What is 2D motion with components?

2D motion with components is a type of motion in which an object moves in two dimensions, typically represented as horizontal and vertical directions. The motion is broken down into its individual components, or parts, in order to analyze the overall motion of the object.

2. How do you find the components of 2D motion?

To find the components of 2D motion, you can use the trigonometric functions of sine and cosine. The horizontal component, or the motion in the x-direction, can be found using cosine, while the vertical component, or the motion in the y-direction, can be found using sine.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of an object in 2D motion?

The equation for calculating the velocity of an object in 2D motion is v = √(vx² + vy²), where vx and vy are the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity, respectively.

4. How does acceleration affect 2D motion?

Acceleration affects 2D motion by changing the velocity of an object in both the horizontal and vertical directions. This can result in a change in direction, speed, or both for the object's overall motion.

5. What are some examples of 2D motion with components?

Some examples of 2D motion with components include a ball being thrown at an angle, a car moving on a curved track, and a projectile motion such as a rocket launching into the air. These motions can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components to analyze their overall motion.