1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Particle Equilibrium

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two traffic signals are temporarily suspended from a cable as shown. Knowing that the signal at B weighs 300N. Determine the weight at signal C.

2. Relevant equations
    Red arrows show lengths of cables and their components.
    Answer is : W_c = 97.7N

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by drawing two free body diagrams. One for particle B and the other for particle C. They both share the cable BC, hence, they share the same tension, T_bc, right? So, I tried to solve for T_bc with the free body diagram of particle B resulting in the sum of the forces along x: -T_ab(3.6/3.9) + T_bc(3.4/3.42) =0
    (Sigma = addition of forces) SigmaF_y: T_ab(1.5/3.9) + T_bc(.4/3.42) - 300 = 0

So, solving for T_bc I get 251 N. I then follow the same steps as above for particle C.
    I get Sigma F_x: T_bc(3.4/3.42) + T_cd(2.4/2.5) = 0
    Sigma F_y: T_bc(.4/3.42) + T_cd(.7/2.5) - W_c = 0
    so far? when I plug in what I got for T_bc to the second eqns. I get a different answer for w_c than what i'm supposed to get. please help

Attached Files:

• p1.bmp
      p1.bmp
      File size:
      213.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

the free body diagram of particle B resulting in the sum of the forces along x: -T_ab(3.6/3.9) + T_bc(3.4/3.42) =0
    simaF_y: T_ab(1.5/3.9) + T_bc(.4/3.42) - 300 = 0
    So, solving for T_bc I get 251 N. I then follow the same steps as above for particle C.

Check this calculation. I am getting differenct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?