Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D structure of molecules?

1. Jan 26, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which are good databases to find 2D structures of molecules like the following:
    [​IMG]
    It is supposed to be a form of melanin, but I need a better one :)

Swissprot won't work, since it is not a protein.. couldn't find anything in Entrez either :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

WHOA! Is THIS melanin??

[​IMG]

no wonder it is good at absorbing energies too bad the two structures don't match

4. Jan 26, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*grmbl* the following doesn't help..

I need to have the structure though!!

5. Jan 26, 2004 #4
  6. Jan 26, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well..

But what are some databases where structures are deposited, or databases which list properties of molecules.. I already mentioned Swissprot/Expasy and Entrez.. I used to know lots others, but haven't used any of them in yearsss :)

7. Jan 26, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh well, I guess I can just list the compounds which can be used as substrates for melanin production. Ofcourse it is pretty evident there is no one form of melanin, since every person's skin color is different.. the melanin of asians will be very different from africans or from skandinavians..

I am actually looking for a melanin from a fungus, it also protects them from UV damage, pretty cool :) that is why spoiled food gets such pretty nasty colorations :P

8. Jan 26, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The idea behind all this is that the ringstructures of melanin produce the color and enable it to absorb energies

9. Jan 26, 2004 #8
    Optical Absorption of Melanin

This has the structure of the melanin monomers available, as well as some information on synthesis and optical properties.

10. Jan 27, 2004 #9
    How about making your on.

download this free program, sketch in the formula and the you can view in 2D or 3D

http://acdlabs.com/download/

Nautica

11. Jan 27, 2004 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?