2D surface density plot in Mathematica

In summary, a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica is a graphical representation of the density of a surface in two dimensions, commonly used in data analysis and visualization. To create one, you can use the DensityPlot function and customize it with various parameters. It is also possible to add a third dimension using the ContourPlot3D function for a more comprehensive visualization. The colors on the plot represent the density, with darker colors indicating higher density. These plots can also be exported to various file formats using the Export function.
thealyosha
I am trying to plot the following function:

\sigma(r, \phi) = \frac{3r^2}{\sqrt{1 - r^2}} e^{i(2 \phi - \omega t)}

where \sigma is a surface density, r is radius, and \phi is azimuthal angle.

It is supposed to yield a "bar shape" for a galactic disk, but I'm not sure how to go about plotting it. It seems like all two-variable Mathematica plots yield 3D images, but I need a 2D image. The function also has a time variable, which I have been ignoring.

Physics news on Phys.org
Possibly using a PolarPlot would be somewhere to start?

1. What is a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica?

A 2D surface density plot in Mathematica is a graphical representation of the density of a surface in two dimensions. It uses color and shading to display the variations in density across the surface. This type of plot is commonly used in data analysis and visualization to identify patterns and trends in data.

2. How do I create a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica?

To create a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica, you can use the DensityPlot function. This function takes in a mathematical expression or function and plots the density of the surface based on the values of the function. You can also customize the plot by adjusting parameters such as color scheme, legend, and axes labels.

3. Can I add a third dimension to a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica?

Yes, you can add a third dimension to a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica by using the ContourPlot3D function. This function combines the density plot with a contour plot, which displays the shape and elevation of the surface. This allows for a more comprehensive visualization of the data.

4. How can I interpret the colors on a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica?

The colors on a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica represent the density of the surface. A darker color indicates a higher density, while a lighter color represents a lower density. The color scale is usually displayed in a legend on the plot, allowing you to easily interpret the color-coding.

5. Can I export a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica to another file format?

Yes, you can export a 2D surface density plot in Mathematica to various file formats such as PNG, JPEG, and PDF. This can be done using the Export function, which allows you to specify the desired file format. You can also adjust the resolution and size of the exported plot to suit your needs.