2nd Order Diff Eqn. (complex roots)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Wronskian to prove that if two functions, y1 and y2, have maxima or minima at the same point in an interval I, then they cannot be a fundamental set of solutions for a differential equation on that interval. The Wronskian is a determinant that determines the linear independence of a set of functions and can also be used to analyze the behavior of functions at specific points.
aznkid310

Homework Statement

Prove that if y1 and y2 have maxima or minima at the same point in I, then they cannot be a fundamental set of solutions on that interval.

Homework Equations

Do I take the wronskian (determinant of y1, y1', y2, y2')? What would that tell me?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
1) What is the Wronskian?

2) Why do you mention it here? What does the Wronskian have to do with differential equations?

The wronskian is a determinant that tells us whether a set of functions is linearly independent or not right? How does that relate to maxima/minima?

If y1 and y2 have maxima or minima at the same point, what are y1' and y2' there? What is the Wronskian at that point?

FAQ: 2nd Order Diff Eqn. (complex roots)

1. What is a 2nd Order Differential Equation with complex roots?

A 2nd Order Differential Equation is an equation that involves a second derivative of a function. The term "complex roots" refers to the solutions of the equation being complex numbers, rather than real numbers.

2. How do you solve a 2nd Order Differential Equation with complex roots?

To solve a 2nd Order Differential Equation with complex roots, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves assuming a particular form for the solution and then solving for the coefficients using the initial conditions given in the problem.

3. Can a 2nd Order Differential Equation with complex roots have real solutions?

Yes, a 2nd Order Differential Equation with complex roots can have real solutions. This occurs when the imaginary parts of the complex roots cancel out, leaving only real solutions.

4. What are the applications of 2nd Order Differential Equations with complex roots?

2nd Order Differential Equations with complex roots have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used to model systems with oscillating behavior, such as electrical circuits, springs, and pendulums.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving 2nd Order Differential Equations with complex roots?

Yes, there are special techniques for solving 2nd Order Differential Equations with complex roots, such as the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters. These techniques involve manipulating the complex roots and using them to find the general solution of the equation.