Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd tangential angle and torsion

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2014 #2
    Tangential angle is defined only for plane curves. A curve that have torsion is not a plane curve. So, for a space curve the tangents are not in the same plane. Optionally, you can define "second tangential angle" just the angle between osculating planes.

4. Feb 27, 2014 #3
    But if I to project the tangent vector in the xy plane thus we can see the tangential angle (in blue) and the red angle would be the tangle that when derivate wrt to arc length s results the torsion. This scheme is valid?

asd.jpg

5. Feb 27, 2014 #4
    I'm afraid that you have entered into too much complication. It seems to me that everything is easier. Whereas we are interested in the angle between the osculating planes and knowing that binormal vector is perpendicular to osculating plane, it is sufficient to study only the angle between the binormals. Thus, the sought angle is the angle between the binormals. So, I think that the drawing is not correct in this way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook