Exploring the Frenet Frame of a Curve in R3

In summary: Therefore, the dot product is always non-negative and can only equal 0 when the curvature is 0, which is not possible for a regular curve.For part ii) I am not sure. The matrix A=F-1F' is the derivative of the rotation matrix, and it should have the same properties as the rotation matrix itself (orthogonal and determinant 1), but I am not sure how to show this using the definitions given.For part iii) I believe you are correct. Since the curve is flat and lies in a plane, the torsion function would be 0 since there is no twisting in a flat curve. And the converse would be true as well, since a curve with 0 torsion would lie in a
MxwllsPersuasns

Homework Statement

The Frenet frame of a curve in R 3 . For a regular plane curve (and more generally for a regular curve on a 2-dimensional surface - e.g. the 2-sphere above) we could construct a unique adapted frame F. This is not the case for curves in higher dimensional spaces. Besides the curve being regular we need more conditions to ensure the existence of a unique adapted frame, which then will give invariants of the curve, which in turn reconstruct the curve up to Euclidean motions. Let γ : I → R 3 be an arclength parametrized curve. Then T = γ' has unit length.

(i) Show that < γ'', T >= 0. Thus, provided that γ'' is nowhere vanishing, we can define N := γ''/||γ''|| and obtain a moving basis {T, N, T × N}. A regular space curve for which γ'' is nowhere vanishing is called a Frenet curve.

(ii) Let γ be an arclength parametrized Frenet curve. Define the curvature function to be κ := ||γ 00|| > 0 and the torsion function τ :=< T ×N, N' >. Show that the adapted frame F = (T, N, T × N): I → SO(3, R) and calculate A = F-1F' in terms of κ and τ .

(iii) If γ is am arclength parametrized plane curve, we can regard it as a space curve. Show that this space curve has τ ≡ 0. Also prove the converse: if a space curve has τ ≡ 0 then it lies in a plane in R3 .

(iv) Show that given κ: I → R, τ (t) > 0 for all t ∈ I, and τ : I → R smooth, there exists a unique (up to Euclidean motion) Frenet curve in R3 whose curvature and torsion are κ and τ respectively.

(v) Classify the Frenet space curves which have curvature and torsion constant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please feel free to answer any part you want, I shall start with i)...

Part i) So I defined γ' as (x', y', z')T and γ'' as (x'', y'', z'')T and when I take the dot product i get {x''x' + y''y' + z''z'}. Nothing jumps out at me as to how I can argue this equals 0, though I have a few inclinations...

So I'm thinking that the dot product of two orthogonal vectors is always 0 and thus γ' and γ'' must be orthogonal though I'm not sure how exactly i can show that as it's not a general fact that the derivative of a curve is orthogonal to that curve (its supposed to be tangent at a particular point). The only other thing I can think of is using the fact that gamma is arc length parameterized but I can't immediately see how that leads to 0. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Part ii) So basically this part asks us to construct the 3x3 matrix with column vectors {T, N, T x N} and then show that this matrix is part of the Rotation group (Special Orthogonal in 3D) by i) showing that the matrix times its transpose equal 1 and then that the determinant of the matrix is 1. Correct?

Part iii) For this part I imagine we need to look at the def of torsion < T x N, N'> and notice that either Tx N or N' must be identically zero given that we've flattened down into the plane. Thought I can't quite imagine which one it is.

That's probably enough for now.. Really hoping for some interesting insights and help on this tough problem. Thanks guys/gals!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit:For part i) I think I've got it. The vector γ' is the unit vector in the direction of the curve, and γ'' is the unit vector in the direction of the curvature. Since the magnitude of the curvature is given by ||γ 00||, then the dot product of γ' and γ'' is equal to the magnitude of the curvature, which is always non-negative.

1. What is the Frenet frame of a curve?

The Frenet frame of a curve in R3 is a mathematical concept that describes the orientation and curvature of a curve at any given point. It consists of three mutually perpendicular vectors: the tangent vector, the normal vector, and the binormal vector.

2. Why is the Frenet frame important in studying curves?

The Frenet frame allows us to analyze the behavior of a curve in three-dimensional space by providing information about its direction and rate of change. This is particularly useful in applications such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics.

3. How is the Frenet frame calculated for a curve?

The Frenet frame can be calculated using the derivatives of the parametric equations of the curve. The tangent vector is the first derivative, the normal vector is the second derivative divided by its magnitude, and the binormal vector is the cross product of the tangent and normal vectors.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Frenet frame?

Yes, the Frenet frame is widely used in various fields such as computer animation and computer-aided design to model and manipulate curves and surfaces. It is also essential in studying the motion of objects and particles in physics and engineering.

5. Can the Frenet frame be used for non-parametric curves?

No, the Frenet frame is only defined for curves that can be expressed as a set of parametric equations. However, there are alternative methods for determining the frame of a non-parametric curve, such as using the curvature and torsion functions.