3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier, resultant waveform

In summary, the rectified waveform does not have the positive voltage peaks (a b c) occurring at the same phase angle as the original 3 phase positive voltages. This is also happening with the flipped negative voltages.
Bringitondown
Hi all,

Having difficulty understanding the above resultant wave form, been looking at power electronics (C.W.Lander) but don't quite get the addition of the wave forms (positive and negative cycles)can anyone point me to some reading of theory I am missing for this, thanks.

Attachments

• 1447522530024.jpg
    1447522530024.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 387
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see how you cannot understand it if you understand the voltage/time relationship between phases and you understand how rectifiers work. Maybe you need to take a step back?

What I don't understand is why the rectified waveform does not have the positive voltage peaks (a b c) occurring at the same phase angle as the original 3 phase positive voltages
This is also happening with the flipped negative voltages. Pointed out with the dotted lines in the image above.

I think this might be the answer I'm looking for. Need to do the sums to prove I think

Attachments

• 1447543291211.jpg
    1447543291211.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 375
Well upon closer inspection I don't think that diagram is completely correct. The upper diagram shows one complete cycle. The lower shows slightly more than one cycle so the vertical dotted lines do not line up correctly. However, the basic shape of the rectified waveform will look pretty much as shown. Sloppy diagram in my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion, these were my initial thoughts but I thought the book couldn't be wrong.

Diagram is right.

Please explain how.

I will have to double check the book but it's back in the library just now but from memory the resultant voltage at the load is the difference between the line voltage and the phase voltage that would appear at the top of the load. I have annotated a chopped page from that book, please see attachment.

Attachment

Attachments

• 1447953643677.jpg
    1447953643677.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 395
That attachment is pretty much the same. Wrong. Notice the waveform in the top that starts at zero, goes positive, goes back through zero, goes negative and completes on cycle where the drawing ends at zero. Now do the same on the bottom except of course it does not swing negative, it goes back positive but it DOES NOT end up at zero at the same place the top one does. It is wrong.

I disagree - the diagrams are correct, could be better notated however.

Ref Post #10

The top is Van, Vbn, Vcn, the second is |Vca|, |Vab|, |Vbc|

Since we are only concerned when the Load ( a 6 pule diode rectifier) is positive biased - the second waveform is folded to show the 6 points in the cycle where different pairs of diodes are conducting. The Horizontal axis is 0V, and we "see" phase shift, but we are now talking about Vphase to phase vs Vp-n..

Example -Red point 1
Van is at its peak. However |Vba| is decreasing, and |Vca| is increasing. At this point where Vbn = Vcn (not zero) ... Vbc=0 the bottom diodes in the B and C legs of the rectifier commutate, and the Top Rectifier in A stays forward boards here ( but this is the ideal case, - important to not make real world assumptions based on ideal conditions at points like this )

So the ripple (@ 60Hz line) is 60 hz * pulses (3 Phase * 2 "polarities" ) = 360 Hz

Thanks for the ripple calc, useful and explained well.

1. What is a 3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier?

A 3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier is an electronic circuit used to convert alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) in a three-phase system. It consists of six diodes arranged in a bridge configuration and is commonly used in industrial applications.

2. How does a 3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier work?

During the positive half-cycle of the AC input, two of the diodes conduct and allow the current to flow through the load in one direction. During the negative half-cycle, the other two diodes conduct and the current flows in the opposite direction. This process results in a pulsating DC output.

3. What is the resultant waveform of a 3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier?

The output waveform of a 3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier is a pulsating DC waveform with a frequency equal to the input frequency. This means that the voltage and current levels fluctuate between zero and maximum values, resulting in a ripple effect on the output.

4. How is the output voltage of a 3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier calculated?

The output voltage of a 3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier can be calculated by multiplying the peak voltage of the AC input by the square root of 3, and then subtracting the voltage drop across the diodes. This means that the output voltage will be lower than the input voltage due to the voltage drop across the diodes.

5. What are the advantages of using a 3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier?

One advantage of using a 3 phase bridge uncontrolled rectifier is its simplicity and cost-effectiveness. It also has a high power factor, meaning it can efficiently convert large amounts of power from AC to DC. Additionally, it has a high output voltage and can handle high current loads, making it suitable for industrial applications.