How can I design a 30-second lag time timer using a 555 timer?

• Thread starter big_tobacco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Timer
In summary, you can use 555 timers or a 556 to create a pulses-on-off switch. If you have a large load to consider, you might want to consider using a time delay relay.
big_tobacco
Hello,

Please could you help me with this problem;

I need to design a timer whereby I briefly trigger it (using a push to make/push to break switch connected to a 6 v supply), there is a pause of 30 seconds and then it triggers with an output, say an LED - this stayes on for about 10 seconds then automatically extinguishes, after it has extinguished it then shuts off. It's only until I trigger the PTM/PTB switch again that the sequence begins all over.

Please, please help...I was hoping to possibly use a 555 timer(s) or something very simple.

Hope you can help :cry:

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Push to make/push to break? I assume you mean a single pole single throw momentary switch?
-
If so, I would use 555 timers, or a single 556. Configure them monostable. Make one time out at 30 seconds, the other at 40 seconds. Hook the LED between the outputs, or buffered outputs.

Welcome to PF big_tobacco. I agree with Averagesupernova in using a couple of 555s or a 556 to generate your pulses but if you have any kind of large load to consider, you might want to use a
http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl;jsessionid=0a010c491f434401fa96817849d4a900c5c8249efc4a.e3eSc3aPaxmLe34Pa38Ta38NaNb0?sc=2&category=100" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe something from the Microchip http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1009&mid=10&lang=en&pageId=74" families?

The ATMEL equivalent is the http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=607#791" family.

They *are* simple--it's just that it's simple software instead of simple hardware.

EDIT: But yeah, if you have any kind of large load, go with the time-delay relay as dlgoff recommends. On the other hand, depending on what sort of expertise you have, you *could* drive a triac or relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant, thank you very much for your help. I think this weekend I'll crack out the bread-board and give these a try!

Related to How can I design a 30-second lag time timer using a 555 timer?

1. What does "30 second lag time timer" mean?

The term "30 second lag time timer" refers to a timing device that counts down from 30 seconds before initiating a specific action or event.

2. How does a 30 second lag time timer work?

A 30 second lag time timer typically consists of a timer circuit that is connected to a relay or other control device. The timer circuit counts down from 30 seconds, and when it reaches zero, it triggers the relay to start or stop a process or event.

3. What is the purpose of using a 30 second lag time timer?

A 30 second lag time timer is often used in scientific experiments or industrial processes to introduce a delay between different stages or actions. It can also be used to synchronize multiple processes or devices.

4. Can a 30 second lag time timer be adjusted to a different time interval?

Yes, some 30 second lag time timers have adjustable settings that allow for different time intervals to be selected. However, the specific time interval may vary depending on the model and manufacturer.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations of using a 30 second lag time timer?

One potential drawback of using a 30 second lag time timer is that it may not be precise enough for certain applications that require more accurate timing. Additionally, some models may have a limited range of time intervals that can be selected.