1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Equilibrium Statics Problems

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    I'm so stuck on this problem. I got it completely wrong on my test because I don't even know where to start. All i recall is that we mus use the vector approach? The problem states:
    For the figure shown, calculate the reactions at point O due to the tensions in the two cables BA and BC. T(BA)=700 N, T(BC)=800 N. Assume that the tree is rigidly fixed to the ground.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2
    Vectors or not, there has to be a similarity between the geometrical triangle OBC and the force components on the cable BC. To get the force components in terms of ijk, you need to project OC onto the x-axis. Let's call it OC'. Then the geometric distances BO, OC', and C'C are in the same ratio as the force components of the 800 N force. There should be as many as 3 reaction components at O that are forces, and three that are moments, although My will be zero by inspection because the forces both seem to pass through it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook