3D-Fourier Transform of a delta-function?

• Thread starter Mr.Brown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transform
In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for the integral of a function over all space, but is having difficulty understanding the equation and integrating over all space. They are also struggling with the angular part of the equation.
Mr.Brown

Homework Statement

hi
im trying to the integral int(delta(r-b)*exp(ikr)d^3r). but I am not really getting anywhere.
I´m trying to integrate over all space in spherical coordinates.
The r part is easy i just do:

delta(r-b)*exp(ikr)r^2*sin(a)*b*dr*da*db -> b^2*exp(ikb*cos(someangle??)*sin(a)*da*db

(sorry that i´m not familiar with tex :( )

I kinda need some help how to do the angular part.
My idea was that the solution should not invole the angles in any sense that´s sure and i think that it´s some kind of trigonometric function but i got no clue how to get somewhere i have some feeling that it´s somethink link sin(bk) * normalization factor but how to get there ?

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole purpose in life of a delta function is to satisfy the condition int(delta(x-a)*f(x))=f(a). So your integral had better come out to be exp(ikb).

but I am integrating in polar coordinates not in one dimension?
my intetgral (leaving out angular parts!) is int(delta(x-b) * exp(ikx))*r^2 dr isn`t it ?

If it's a real 3d delta function the coordinates can't matter, can they?

hmm yes but it`s a one dimensional delta function in front of a 3d object so you got to take that into account and take dV=r^2*sin(a)*da*db don't you ?

Ok, so it's a delta over the coordinate r, not the vector r integrated d^3r. Then what's exp(ikr)? Is r the coordinate r or is it a dot product? If the latter then you have more than one meaning for r in your expression.

oh yea sorry for that it think i wrote that somehere in parentesis :)
But youre right i got 2 meanings for one variable sorry :(
you got any idea how to solve that anyways can´t find any solution anywhere even though it seems to be a pretty common problem in stat. mechanics :(

:D can be deleted i solved it was really easy just hat to set my coordinate system so that k hat only a z-component :)

1. What is a delta-function?

A delta-function, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is used to model a point-like source or a point-like measurement. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite.

2. What is a 3D-Fourier Transform?

A 3D-Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function in three-dimensional space into its corresponding representation in the frequency domain. It is used to analyze signals or functions in three dimensions, and is an extension of the one-dimensional Fourier Transform.

3. What is the purpose of performing a 3D-Fourier Transform on a delta-function?

The 3D-Fourier Transform of a delta-function is used to obtain the frequency spectrum of a point-like source or measurement in three-dimensional space. This spectrum can be useful in analyzing and understanding the behavior of complex systems.

4. How is the 3D-Fourier Transform of a delta-function calculated?

The 3D-Fourier Transform of a delta-function is calculated by taking the Fourier Transform of the delta-function in each dimension separately. This results in a 3D frequency spectrum that represents the distribution of frequencies in the original function.

5. What are some applications of the 3D-Fourier Transform of a delta-function?

The 3D-Fourier Transform of a delta-function has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to analyze complex systems, study the behavior of electromagnetic fields, and image reconstruction in medical imaging, among others.