1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D-Fourier Transform of a delta-function?

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hi
    im trying to the integral int(delta(r-b)*exp(ikr)d^3r). but im not really getting anywhere.
    I´m trying to integrate over all space in spherical coordinates.
    The r part is easy i just do:

delta(r-b)*exp(ikr)r^2*sin(a)*b*dr*da*db -> b^2*exp(ikb*cos(someangle??)*sin(a)*da*db

(sorry that i´m not familiar with tex :( )

I kinda need some help how to do the angular part.
    My idea was that the solution should not invole the angles in any sense that´s sure and i think that it´s some kind of trigonometric function but i got no clue how to get somewhere i have some feeling that it´s somethink link sin(bk) * normalization factor but how to get there ?

Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The whole purpose in life of a delta function is to satisfy the condition int(delta(x-a)*f(x))=f(a). So your integral had better come out to be exp(ikb).

4. Apr 30, 2007 #3
    but im integrating in polar coordinates not in one dimension?
    my intetgral (leaving out angular parts!) is int(delta(x-b) * exp(ikx))*r^2 dr isn`t it ?

5. Apr 30, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's a real 3d delta function the coordinates can't matter, can they?

6. Apr 30, 2007 #5
    hmm yes but it`s a one dimensional delta function in front of a 3d object so you gotta take that into account and take dV=r^2*sin(a)*da*db dont you ?

7. Apr 30, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so it's a delta over the coordinate r, not the vector r integrated d^3r. Then what's exp(ikr)? Is r the coordinate r or is it a dot product? If the latter then you have more than one meaning for r in your expression.

8. Apr 30, 2007 #7
    oh yea sorry for that it think i wrote that somehere in parentesis :)
    But youre right i got 2 meanings for one variable sorry :(
    you got any idea how to solve that anyways can´t find any solution anywhere even though it seems to be a pretty common problem in stat. mechanics :(

9. May 1, 2007 #8
    :D can be deleted i solved it was really easy just hat to set my coordinate system so that k hat only a z-component :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?