3d heat equation with constant point source

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem in 3 dimensions involving a point source turned on at t=0 and held at constant temperature. The solution is found in 1D using a specific equation and in 3D using a Laplace transform and solving a Helmholtz equation. The solution is valid when a constant temperature condition is applied on a ball of radius a. However, there is a singularity at the origin and it is unclear how to solve the problem for an ideal point source. The Green's Function may not be applicable in this case.
acme37
Hi all,

I'd like to solve the following problem in 3 dimensions:

[itex]\partial_t u(r,t) = D\Delta u(r,t)[/itex]
[itex]u(r,0) = 0[/itex]
[itex]u(0,t) = C_o[/itex]

In words, I am looking at a point 'source' that is turned on at t=0 and held at constant temperature. The ultimate goal is to then convolve this solution with constant sources distributed arbitrarily in space.

In 1D, I can find the solution:
[tex]u(x,t) = C_o \mathrm{erfc}\left(\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4Dt}}\right)[/tex]
In 3D, I proceed by taking the Laplace transform and solving the resulting Helmholtz equation. After applying the [itex]r\to\infty[/itex] boundary condition,
[tex]u(r,s)=A\frac{e^{-\sqrt{\frac{s}{D}}r}}{r}[/tex]
But I can't apply the boundary condition at [itex]u(0,s)[/itex] due to the singularity at the origin. So instead I assume we fix the constant temperature condition on a ball of radius [itex]a[/itex], for [itex]a\ll r[/itex]. If I do that my solution isn't so bad,
[tex]u(r,t)=C_o\frac{a}{r}\mathrm{erfc}\left(\frac{(a-r)^2}{4Dt}\right)[/tex]
This matches my simulations rather well, when I add appropriate image sources for my particular geometry. Of course, the solution vanishes as I shrink [itex]a\to0[/itex]. So my question is, is there a way to solve the original problem of a point source? Otherwise using this as a sort of Green's Function for a distributed constant temperature boundary seems suspect.

I feel like this issue comes up a bunch in EM but I'm blanking on how to deal with it here. By the way, a second approach I've tried is to integrate the normal Green's Function over time (i.e. convolving with a step source). There again I get a singularity at r=0.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
An ideal point source does not transmit heat in 3 dimensions, so your solution for the ball with a finite size looks reasonable.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'm a bit confused. What else is the Green's Function if not the response to an ideal point source?

There is no response (read: zero temperature change) to an ideal point source.

I find this problem very interesting and challenging. The 3D heat equation with a constant point source is a common problem in many fields, including thermal engineering and physics. Your approach of solving it using the Laplace transform and the Helmholtz equation is a valid and well-established method. However, the singularity at the origin in the resulting solution is a known issue and can be difficult to deal with.

One possible solution is to use a different boundary condition at the origin, such as a Neumann boundary condition which specifies the heat flux rather than the temperature. This can help to avoid the singularity and provide a more physically realistic solution. Another approach is to use a regularization technique to smooth out the singularity, such as using a Gaussian distribution instead of a point source.

It is also worth considering the physical implications of the problem. In reality, a truly point source of heat is not possible and there will always be some finite size and distribution of the source. Therefore, using a point source in the mathematical model may not accurately reflect the physical system. In this case, it may be more appropriate to use a distributed source with a finite size and shape.

In conclusion, while the 3D heat equation with a point source can be a challenging problem, there are various techniques and considerations that can help to provide a more accurate and physically meaningful solution. I encourage you to continue exploring different approaches and techniques to further improve your understanding and solution of this problem.

1. What is the 3D heat equation with constant point source?

The 3D heat equation with constant point source is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of heat in a three-dimensional space over time. It takes into account the heat source at a specific point in the space and how it affects the temperature at surrounding points.

2. What are the variables in the 3D heat equation with constant point source?

The variables in the 3D heat equation with constant point source are time (t), temperature (T), and the three spatial dimensions (x, y, and z). The equation also includes the thermal conductivity (k) and the heat source term (Q).

3. How is the 3D heat equation with constant point source solved?

The 3D heat equation with constant point source is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods discretize the space and time domains and use iterative calculations to approximate the temperature at each point.

4. What is the significance of a constant point source in the 3D heat equation?

A constant point source in the 3D heat equation represents a fixed heat source at a specific location in the space. This can be used to model various scenarios, such as a heat lamp or a fire, and understand how the heat spreads and affects the surrounding environment.

5. What are some real-world applications of the 3D heat equation with constant point source?

The 3D heat equation with constant point source has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can be used to analyze heat transfer in buildings, study heat dissipation in electronic devices, and understand thermal behavior in industrial processes.