Find 3D Models of Waves | Get Creative with 4D Displays

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for 3D or 4D images of waves, such as light or sound, but having difficulty finding them. They are asking if such models exist and for someone to direct them to them. Several options are suggested, including a video and a free CAD program. However, the person is looking for a 3D representation with multiple parameters and examples are provided.
DianaHerberg
I am looking for 3D (or 4D, etc.) images of waves (such as light or sound), but seem to be having difficulty locating such models. Can someone please direct me to this kind of display, or is it not something being currently done?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks... however, that is not actually what I had in mind. What I mean is a 3D model, that can be rotated, etc. (as in a CAD program). For instance, with a sound wave, the 3rd dimension might be some measure of the acoustic quality of the sound... or for light, a measure of the reflectivity of the surface upon which the light is cast. Have models like these been done?

DianaHerberg said:
Thanks... however, that is not actually what I had in mind. What I mean is a 3D model, that can be rotated, etc. (as in a CAD program). For instance, with a sound wave, the 3rd dimension might be some measure of the acoustic quality of the sound... or for light, a measure of the reflectivity of the surface upon which the light is cast. Have models like these been done?
Google Sketchup 8 is a free CAD program. Simply draw a 2D wave, and use the follow me tool to draw it around a circle thus creating a 3D representation.

Here is what it would look like in Sketchup. Use the follow me tool to reach the third step. Note - the wave line must have a thickness.

Attachments

• wave.png
    wave.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 414
Thank you kolleamm, but I think I must not be communicating my thoughts very well. What you have posted looks like a 2D curve extended into a 3rd dimension. What I actually have in mind is a 3D representation, charting three separate parameters (or possibly 4 or 5, if you added color and/or shading). I would expect the shape to look like wave that is bent this way and that in the 3rd dimension... unless, of course, there is some kind of pattern to the results, in which case there may be, for instance, a wave when viewed from other perspective(s). (Note: Before I posted the OP, I did find a thread from someone thinking along these lines - I think it is entitled "3D model of an EM wave" - but it did not include an example.)

DianaHerberg said:
I think I must not be communicating my thoughts very well.
I agree. I think you will just have to get some graphing software and plot what you want. I don't think that this guessing game is working.

Related to Find 3D Models of Waves | Get Creative with 4D Displays

1. What types of waves can I find 3D models of?

You can find 3D models of various types of waves such as electromagnetic waves (e.g. light and radio waves), sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves.

2. Where can I find 3D models of waves?

There are various online databases and repositories that offer 3D models of waves, such as Sketchfab, TurboSquid, and CGTrader. You can also find 3D models of waves on scientific websites and research databases.

3. Can I customize the 3D models of waves?

Yes, many 3D modeling software programs or online tools allow you to customize the 3D models of waves. You can adjust the size, color, texture, and other parameters to fit your needs.

4. What is a 4D display and how can I use it with 3D models of waves?

A 4D display is a technology that adds the element of time to 3D displays, creating an interactive experience. You can use a 4D display to visualize how waves move and change over time, making it a useful tool for educational and research purposes.

5. Are there any limitations to using 3D models of waves?

While 3D models of waves can provide a realistic representation, they may have limitations in accurately displaying complex wave phenomena. It is important to use these models in conjunction with other scientific tools and methods for a comprehensive understanding of waves.