Solving 3D Statics Problem with 800N Lamp

• Thread starter believe14142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Statics
In summary, the problem involves determining the forces in three cables supporting a lamp of weight 800N at equilibrium. The approach would be to break up the components and add all the forces in each axis, but the issue is that the forces are not centered at the origin. However, this can be resolved by moving the forces over so that everything is at the origin.
believe14142

Homework Statement

Three cables are used to support a lamp that weighs 800N. Determine the force in each supporting cable when everything is at equilibrium.

Homework Equations

ƩF in the x-axis = 0
ƩF in the y-axis = 0
ƩF in the z-axis = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to start this problem. I get the concept of breaking up the components and adding all the forces up in each axis. But what throws me off about this problem is that it isn't centered at the origin. How am I supposed to find the angles of the forces with respect to an axis if the force isn't coming out of the origin?https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=dbdf3b9707&view=att&th=13a219c1fc5c23ec&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h7t12d950&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-8Wo1xJnmuljT9i03--InW&sadet=1349183678622&sads=Kf9SObn1yzuJjVHHS6SmBxLnTK0&sadssc=1

Physics news on Phys.org
A sketch of the situation would be helpful.

Oh pffft nevermind. I just realized that you can move the forces over so that everything is at the origin.

1. How do I calculate the force on the lamp in a 3D statics problem?

To calculate the force on the lamp, you will need to use the principles of equilibrium in 3D statics. This includes summing all the forces in the x, y, and z directions and setting them equal to zero. You will also need to take into account the direction and magnitude of each force acting on the lamp.

2. What is the significance of the 800N force in this problem?

The 800N force represents the weight of the lamp and any other forces acting on it. In a 3D statics problem, this force will need to be included in your calculations to determine the overall force on the lamp.

3. How do I determine the direction of the force on the lamp?

The direction of the force on the lamp can be determined by using vector analysis. This involves breaking down the 800N force and any other forces into their respective x, y, and z components and then summing them up to determine the overall direction of the force.

4. What other factors should I consider when solving this 3D statics problem?

In addition to the forces acting on the lamp, you will also need to consider the geometry of the system. This includes the distance between the lamp and any other objects, as well as the angles at which the forces are acting. These factors can greatly affect the overall force on the lamp and should be carefully evaluated in your calculations.

5. How can I check my solution to ensure it is correct?

To check your solution, you can use the principles of equilibrium to see if the sum of all the forces in each direction is equal to zero. You can also use a free body diagram to visually represent the forces and their directions. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent.