3db frequency for decoupling caps (application note)

• Thread starter likephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the 3db cut off formula is Z/2∏L, and it is based on the equation f = 1/2∏L. The units wouldn't be right for an equation f = 1/2∏L, for one thing, and the app note provides a slightly different answer. However, whatever the answer may be, it can be calculated using the equation Z√2 = Z + 2πfL. The break frequency is Z=X_L, and it is based on the equation f_{-3db} = \frac{Z}{2\pi L}.
likephysics
I was reading a app note on bypass caps - http://www.ti.com/lit/an/scaa048/scaa048.pdf
I'm a bit confused as to how the 3db cut off formula is Z/2∏L, isn't it just 1/2∏L?
Please see page 4 of app note.

Engineering news on Phys.org

likephysics said:
I was reading a app note on bypass caps - http://www.ti.com/lit/an/scaa048/scaa048.pdf
I'm a bit confused as to how the 3db cut off formula is Z/2∏L, isn't it just 1/2∏L?
Please see page 4 of app note.

The units wouldn't be right for an equation f = 1/2∏L, for one thing.

I get a slightly different answer from the app note, but I may not be understanding how they are setting this up. It would be nice if they would have shown a diagram of their Z effective load resistance and the L of the wiring supplying the current, but whatever.

This is what I did:

Assume the source power supply is connected to the load circuit through the wiring inductance L. Assume that the effective load impedance (resistance) is the allowed ΔV divided by the anticipated worst-case ΔI.

Then you have a lowpass filter formed by that LR (LZ) circuit, with the low passband frequencies being supplied by the power supply, and ΔI frequencies above the corner frequency requiring bypass capacitors in parallel with the load Z in order to supply those high-frequency currents.

Then the corner -3dB (1/√2) is calculated:

[tex]\frac{V_o}{V_i} = \frac{Z}{Z + sL} = \frac{1}{√2}[/tex]

[tex]Z√2 = Z + 2πfL[/tex]

[tex]f = \frac{Z(√2-1)}{2πL}[/tex]

So my -3dB frequency is slightly lower than their Z/2∏L, but they may have just been rounding it off a bit (or I may have made an error).

EDIT -- Actually, to do it right, you need to take the complex nature of the equations into account. See the Gain equation here, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RL_circuit

Last edited:
VoVi=ZZ+sL=1√2

I get Z/2∏L. I'm new to the forum so I'm not familiar with how to make the derivation look nice, but in short in finding the 3dB frequency you must consider the imaginary portion in the denominator (s = jω) .

Z+sL must be replaced with its magnitude √Z2+(Lω)2

I don't see it in p4, but in general, for inductor

[tex] X_L=2\pi f L\;\Rightarrow \;f=\frac{X_L}{2\pi L} [/tex]

At break frequency,

[tex]Z=X_L\;\Rightarrow \; f_{-3db}=\frac{Z}{2\pi L}[/tex]

Is that what you are referring to?

yungman said:
I don't see it in p4, but in general, for inductor

[tex] X_L=2\pi f L\;\Rightarrow \;f=\frac{X_L}{2\pi L} [/tex]

At break frequency,

[tex]Z=X_L\;\Rightarrow \; f_{-3db}=\frac{Z}{2\pi L}[/tex]

Is that what you are referring to?

Why is Z=X_L at break frequency?

Break freq = corner freq, right?

The equation is on page 2 of the pdf.

likephysics said:
Why is Z=X_L at break frequency?

Break freq = corner freq, right?

The equation is on page 2 of the pdf.

Yes, break frequency is just corner frequency...in general. It's just general saying, break frequency is usually the frequency where the reactance equal to magnitude of the resistance. eg. if you have R and L in series to form a high pass filter where you take the output at the junction between the R and L. Then the +3DB frequency is as I described. Or in parallel R and L high pass filter where at low frequency the signal is shorted out by the L. But at break frequency where ZL = R then that's the break frequency. For specific, you really have to look at the circuit as the R might be a combination of different resistors or even other reactance.

As for why it has to be R=XL, good question. I think it's more definition than anything. This is again "in general" where the amplitude decrease to 0.707 of the original amplitude for low pass. OR increase to 1.414 of the original amplitude for high pass. I don't want to get too specific for all cases as I am not expert in definitions, just working on the application side of it.

Last edited:
yungman said:
As for why it has to be R=XL, good question.
Well the LP filter forms a voltage (or power) divider and the cutoff is defined at -3dB (i.e. the power is halved), so the divider arms have to be equal.

/handwaving

What is the purpose of using decoupling caps?

Decoupling caps are used to filter out high frequency noise and stabilize the power supply in electronic circuits. They act as a buffer between the power supply and the components, reducing electromagnetic interference and improving overall performance.

What is the 3db frequency for decoupling caps?

The 3db frequency for decoupling caps refers to the frequency at which the capacitors start to attenuate the high frequency noise. It is also known as the cut-off frequency and is typically measured in hertz (Hz).

How is the 3db frequency calculated for decoupling caps?

The 3db frequency for decoupling caps can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2πRC), where f is the frequency in Hz, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula takes into account the capacitance of the decoupling caps and the load resistance of the circuit.

What factors affect the 3db frequency for decoupling caps?

The 3db frequency for decoupling caps can be affected by various factors such as the type and value of the capacitors, the layout of the circuit, and the frequency of the noise. Additionally, the placement of the decoupling caps in relation to the components and the power supply can also impact the 3db frequency.

Why is it important to choose the right 3db frequency for decoupling caps?

Choosing the right 3db frequency for decoupling caps is crucial for maintaining a stable and clean power supply for electronic circuits. If the frequency is too low, the caps will not effectively filter out high frequency noise. On the other hand, if the frequency is too high, the caps may interfere with the normal operation of the circuit. It is important to carefully select the 3db frequency based on the specific needs and requirements of the circuit in order to achieve optimal performance.