Velocity of Timelike Curve in Special Relativity

In summary: You can do the Lorentz boosts in any order, and you will always get the same length of |u| = -1.So the 4-velocity has to have length -1.In summary, in special relativity, spacetime can be viewed as a four-dimensional manifold with a metric that includes a proper time component. Timelike curves are defined as those with negative proper time, and can be parametrized by the proper time itself. The tangent vector of a timelike curve has unit length according to the definition of proper time, as shown through the chain rule and the invariance of the 4-velocity's magnitude under Lorentz boosts.
JonnyG
In special relativity we can view spacetime as ##\mathbb{R}^4## with its standard smooth structure, and a metric ##\eta_{ab} = \sum\limits_{\mu, \nu = 0}^3 \eta_{\mu, \nu} (dx^\mu)_a (dx^\nu)_b## where ##\nu_{\mu \nu} = \mathrm{diag}(-1, 1, 1, )##. Given a curve ##\gamma: I \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^4## (where ##I## is an interval), let ##T## be the tangent vector field on ##\gamma##. Then we define the proper time as ##\tau = \int (-\eta_{ab}T^aT^b)^{1/2} dt##, where ##t## parametrizes ##\gamma##. We define timelike curves as curves whose proper time is negative. Now, Wald says that "we may parametrize timelike curves by the proper time ##\tau##". How are we parametrizing the curve using ##\tau##? Are we parametrizing it in the sense that, for each given ##t##, some portion of the curve is traced out, and its proper time (its length, in a sense) is given by ##\tau##? I believe this is what he must mean, but please correct me if I am wrong.

But onto the main reason for my post: In the same notation as above, given a timelike curve parametrized by ##\tau##, the tangent vector ##u^a## is defined as the ##4-##velocity of the curve. Wald says that it follows directly from the definition of ##\tau## that the ##4-##velocity has unit length: ##\eta(u, u) = -1##. I don't see how this is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes to your first question.

As to your second question, the key is the chain rule. For typing ease, I'll use X to mean all for coordinates parametrized by t. Then:

dX/dτ = dX/dt * dt/dτ = (dX/dt) / (dτ /dt)

Compute this using your definition of tau, and the definition of the tangent vector. It will fall right out (take the norm of your result).

Likes JonnyG
Thanks! It was a straight forward calculation.

Her'es another way of getting the same result. Suppose you have a stationary observer. We compute the 4-velocity u. ##u^0 = dx^0/d\tau=1##, and ##u^i = dx^i/d\tau=0## for i = 1,2,3.

If we compute the length of the 4-vector above, we get -1, from the basic definition.

Now we do a general Lorentz boost of the 4-velocity, so the point is no longer stationary in the new coordinates. But the length of the 4-vector is invariant, so the magnitude of u is still -1.

Likes JonnyG

1. What is the velocity of a timelike curve in special relativity?

In special relativity, the velocity of a timelike curve is defined as the rate of change of the spatial coordinates with respect to the time coordinate. It represents the speed at which an object moves through space.

2. How is the velocity of a timelike curve different from the speed of light?

The velocity of a timelike curve is different from the speed of light because it is relative to the observer's reference frame. It can be any value less than the speed of light, while the speed of light is constant and the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe.

3. Can the velocity of a timelike curve be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the principles of special relativity, the velocity of a timelike curve cannot exceed the speed of light. It is a fundamental law of the universe that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel.

4. How does the velocity of a timelike curve affect time dilation?

The velocity of a timelike curve is directly related to time dilation in special relativity. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, time dilation increases, meaning that time appears to pass slower for the moving object from the perspective of an observer in a different reference frame.

5. Can the velocity of a timelike curve be negative?

Yes, the velocity of a timelike curve can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the observer's reference frame. This can result in time reversal, where events appear to happen in reverse order from the observer's perspective.