|4+z| - |4-z| = 6, prove |4+z|^2 - |4-z|^2 >= 48

• Thread starter matt.lmx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the expression |4+z|^2 - |4-z|^2 is greater than or equal to 48, given the equation |4+z| - |4-z| = 6 where z is a complex number. The suggested approach is to prove that |4-z| is greater than or equal to 1, which can be done by looking at the geometric interpretation of the equation.
matt.lmx

Homework Statement

Where z is a complex number:

|4+z| - |4-z| = 6

Prove that |4+z|^2 - |4-z|^2 >= 48

2. The attempt at a solution

|4+z| = 6 + |4-z|

|4+z|^2 = 36 + |4-z|^2 + 12|4-z|

|4+z|^2 - |4-z|^2 = 36 + 12|4-z|

From here, I figure if I can prove that |4-z| >= 1, I can prove that |4+z|^2 - |4-z|^2 >=48

Any pointers as to how I can do this? Or am I approaching this from the wrong angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could look at it geometrically. |4-z| is the distance from 4 to z. If |4-z|<1 then |z+4| (the distance from z to -4) is going to be greater than 7. So the difference can't be 6.

|4-z| = |z-4|, so my geometric model is of a point z in the midline of a "horizontal" line of length 8 and the two legs to the origin differ in length by 6. This defines a curve of possible values for z, which crosses the real axis at ...

1. What is the equation |4+z| - |4-z| = 6?

The equation |4+z| - |4-z| = 6 represents a mathematical statement where the absolute value of 4 plus z is subtracted by the absolute value of 4 minus z, and the result is equal to 6.

2. How can we prove that |4+z|^2 - |4-z|^2 >= 48?

In order to prove that |4+z|^2 - |4-z|^2 >= 48, we can use the properties of absolute values and exponents, along with algebraic manipulation, to show that the inequality holds true for all real values of z.

3. What does the statement |4+z|^2 - |4-z|^2 >= 48 mean?

This statement means that for any real number z, if we square the absolute value of 4 plus z and subtract the square of the absolute value of 4 minus z, the result will be greater than or equal to 48.

4. Why is it important to prove this inequality?

Proving this inequality is important because it helps to establish a mathematical rule or property that can be applied to various equations and problems. It also allows us to understand the relationship between absolute values and exponents, and how they can be manipulated to prove mathematical statements.

5. Can this inequality be extended to other numbers and expressions?

Yes, this inequality can be extended to other numbers and expressions as long as they follow the same pattern of absolute values and exponents. It can also be extended to more complex equations and inequalities by using the same principles of algebraic manipulation.