1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5.8ghz laser?

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    what would a 5.8ghz laser look like. i am just wondering because it would be so much nicer to do a radio link with a laser instead of a 2m antenna

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

At 5.8GHz it sounds more like maser.

4. Sep 16, 2010 #3
    interesting did not know that
    has anything like that been used for sending a modulated signal?
    i would imagine it behaves like a laser right?

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Masers have been around for even longer than lasers. So yes, you can send information using a modulated maser.

6. Sep 18, 2010 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Existing masers require a molecular beam in a vacuum chamber. Operating a vacuum pump is more cumbersome than having an antenna. Again, one would need to identify the gain material, and what conditions are required to achieve gain, before one can claim that it would be a nice easy device to operate.

The wavelength corresponding to 5.8 GHz is 5.2 cm, so I would think a good directional transmitter could be made using conventional electronics.

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6
    hmm yeah what gas has electrons with the right energy state for that frequency?

8. Sep 20, 2010 #7

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No they don't. There are all sorts of masers (just as there are all sorts of lasers); some e.g, work by using transitions in ions (say Fe) implanted in a solid medium (say sapphire).

That said, masers ARE much more cumbersome to use than lasers so they are rarely useful in practical applications.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook