Troubleshooting 74LS90 Counting Issues: Using Input Pulses from a 555 Timer

• Thread starter David lopez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation is about using a 74ls90 counter and a 555 timer to count to 9. The person is experiencing issues with the output not changing and is asked about their power supply, pin connections, and clock input. They are also advised to use a voltage regulator and resistors to prevent damage. The conversation ends with a request for a circuit diagram and photo of the construction.
David lopez
I am trying to use the 74ls90. It won't change it's output. It suppose to count to 9. The input
Pulses come from a 555 timer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. Have you got a 5 volt regulated supply?
2. Have you tied all 9_set and 0_set pins low. Pins 2, 3, 6 & 7.
If you let more than one of each float high it will lock the counter.
3. Which clock are you using as the input from the NE555.
4. Have you tied the output of that counter to the other clock input?
We are not long range mind readers.
Please provide a link to your circuit or;
Draw your circuit diagram and drag it onto your next post.

I am using a 4.1 volt supply. is that two
Low?

It may work on 4.1V sometimes, but you should regulate Vcc between +4.75 and +5.25V.
Use a 7805 regulator to provide the +5V supply from a voltage above 9V.

Vcc above +6 volts can destroy inputs. If it is ever possible for the supply voltage to rise above 6 volts, then you must not connect TTL inputs to the positive rail without a 1k series resistor to limit the damage.

A higher voltage does not seem to be
Working.

David lopez said:
A higher voltage does not seem to be
Working.
Again, as in your previous thread ... I will ask for your circuit and photo of your construction

PLEASE do not again leave us all guessing as we try and help you

Likes Averagesupernova
David lopez said:
The input
Pulses come from a 555 timer.
Ohh and since you didn't seem to get your timer circuit working properly
it's no surprise that the counter isn't working properly :rolleyes:

Likes Averagesupernova
davenn said:
Again, as in your previous thread ... I will ask for your circuit and photo of your construction
Agreed. @David lopez -- does your circuit look like this?

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/cou29.gif?fit=403%2C184

Attachments

• 1558363759390.png
    1558363759390.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 156

1. What is a 74LS90 counter and how does it work?

The 74LS90 is a type of integrated circuit (IC) that is used to count pulses. It has four separate counting sections, each of which can count up to 9 pulses. The IC works by receiving input pulses and using them to trigger a series of flip-flops, which in turn change the output values.

2. How do I troubleshoot issues with my 74LS90 counter?

First, check all connections and make sure they are secure. Then, verify that the input pulses from the 555 timer are reaching the 74LS90. If they are, check for any loose or damaged components on the IC. You can also try replacing the IC with a new one to see if that resolves the issue.

3. Why am I not getting the expected output from my 74LS90 counter?

There are a few potential reasons for this. First, make sure that the input pulses from the 555 timer are at the correct voltage and frequency. Additionally, check that the power supply to the IC is stable and within the recommended range. If these factors are not the issue, there may be a problem with the IC itself.

4. Can I use any type of input pulses with the 74LS90 counter?

Yes, the 74LS90 can accept a wide range of input pulses, including square waves, sine waves, and triangular waves. Just make sure that the pulses are within the recommended voltage and frequency ranges for the IC.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my 74LS90 counter?

To improve accuracy, you can use a higher frequency input signal, as this will result in more pulses being counted in a given time period. Additionally, you can use a more stable power supply and ensure that the IC is not overheating. Finally, double-check all connections and components to ensure they are functioning properly.