A Ball is rolling on a flat surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rolling without slipping on a flat surface and whether or not the ball will accelerate to infinity. It is determined that the ball will not accelerate due to the presence of static friction, and the principle of conservation of energy can be used as an approximation in this scenario. However, this only applies when there is no rolling resistance or aerodynamic drag. Static friction does not cause a loss of mechanical energy, but rather converts some of the potential energy into angular kinetic energy.
atos
Let's say we have a rolling without slipping (e.g. mentioned ball) on flat surface.
Does it mean that the ball will accelerate to infinity ?

Physics news on Phys.org
atos said:
Let's say we have a rolling without slipping (e.g. mentioned ball) on flat surface.
Does it mean that the ball will accelerate to infinity ?
Why would it accelerate at all? Is it an incline?

No, it's a flat surface. But it seemed to me that since we have static friction, it means that the angular and linear acceleration is non-zero.

If it's friction it's decelerated (on the average) and thus coming to a halt. Roll a ball on a flat surface, and you can even observe this in Nature ;-).

Likes Dale
Ok, but I've heard that's because of rolling resistance (rolling friction) and not the static friction. I assume that we have situation without rolling resistance.

Any friction conteracts the motion and thus leads to deceleration. This must be so, because as a dissipative process friction leads to an energy loss of the moving object, heating up the environment.

Now I'm really confused. So why can we use the principle of conservation of energy, for example when the ball rolls down an incline :
[tex]mgh = \frac{mv^2}{2} + \frac{I\omega ^2}{2}[/tex]
?

atos said:
Now I'm really confused. So why can we use the principle of conservation of energy, for example when the ball rolls down an incline :
?
We can use the equation as an approximation.
There will be frictive losses which you could represent with an extra term on the right, but we don't know how big they will be and in most cases, friction is fairly negligible

As to your previous question, obviously the ball won't accelerate.
It would violate conservation of energy and momentum as well as intuition...
or have you ever seen a ball start to roll for no apparent reason?

Static friction does not apply any net force or torque to a resting ball.

Only a rolling ball will experience friction (in the direction opposite to its movement).

In the case of a ball rolling on a flat horizontal surface, and absent any forces such as rolling resistance or aerodynamic drag, then static friction is zero. The ball continues to roll at constant velocity.

Last edited:
atos said:
?
Very simple: You neglect friction here. Since the constant force is obviously conservative then the energy-conservation law holds.

atos said:
?

vanhees71 said:
Very simple: You neglect friction here. Since the constant force is obviously conservative then the energy-conservation law holds.
Static friction is not ignored, as static friction is what causes the ball to roll instead of slide. Since the ball is not sliding, then there are no losses related to friction. The idealizations here are that there is no rolling resistance, and there is no aerodynamic drag. Static friction doesn't cause a loss of mechanical energy; it just converts some of the gravitational potential energy into angular kinetic energy as the ball rolls down the inclined plane.

Likes vanhees71

What causes a ball to roll on a flat surface?

A ball rolls on a flat surface due to the force of gravity acting on it, as well as any applied force such as a push or a slope. This force causes the ball to move and roll on the surface.

Why does a ball continue to roll on a flat surface without stopping?

Once a ball is in motion on a flat surface, it will continue to roll due to its inertia. The ball will only stop if an external force, such as friction or a collision, acts upon it to slow it down or stop it completely.

What factors affect the speed of a rolling ball on a flat surface?

The speed of a rolling ball on a flat surface is affected by several factors, including the force applied to the ball, the mass and size of the ball, and the friction between the ball and the surface. For example, a larger and heavier ball will roll slower than a smaller and lighter ball with the same force applied.

What is the difference between rolling and sliding motion of a ball on a flat surface?

Rolling motion occurs when a ball rotates as it moves, such as when it is rolling down a hill. Sliding motion occurs when a ball moves without rotating, such as when it is pushed across a flat surface. Rolling motion is typically smoother and more efficient than sliding motion.

How does the surface material affect the motion of a rolling ball?

The surface material can greatly affect the motion of a rolling ball. Rough or uneven surfaces will create more friction, causing the ball to roll slower and potentially stop sooner. Smooth surfaces will create less friction, allowing the ball to roll further and faster. Additionally, different surface materials may have different levels of grip on the ball, affecting its speed and direction of motion.