A ball with some energy and yes a string

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ball attached to a string and its movement at a certain angle. There is confusion about the direction and motion of the ball, and it is agreed that the problem is poorly worded. The conversation also includes a poll, but it is unclear what the purpose of the poll is.

Am I correct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mooncrater

Homework Statement

There is a question that says:
A small bal of mass m is attached to the end of the string of length ##l=1m## whose other end is fixed. From its lower position, the ball is given a kinetic energy ##\frac {mgl}{5}##. Find the net acceleration (in ##m/s^2## ) of the ball at the instant when the string makes an angle ##\theta## of##37^{¤}##.

Homework Equations

##\frac {mgl}{5}=mgh+1/2mv^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

since at an angle 37 degrees the ball will cover a distance ##\frac {l}{5}## because of which the kinetic energy at this point is zero. This it's velocity at that point is also zero. So the net acceleration should be equal to ##g## I. E. ##10m/s^2## since the centripetal force is equal to zero. But the answer is ##6m/s^2## by taking ##gsin\theta##. But then ##gcos\theta## is gravity's component in the radial direction, why is it ignored?

Physics news on Phys.org
mooncrater said:
So the net acceleration should be equal to g g I. E. 10m/s 2 10m/s^2 since the centripetal force is equal to zero. But the answer is 6m/s 2 6m/s^2 by taking gsinθ gsin\theta. But then gcosθ gcos\theta is gravity's component in the radial direction, why is it ignored?

As I understand it, the radial component of the force of gravity on the ball is countered by the tension in the string. Since the ball has zero velocity when it makes an angle of 37° with the vertical, it has no radial acceleration. That only leaves the tangential acceleration.

This is all assuming the ball is moving in circular motion, which it does not specify in the problem statement. Saying that something has a certain kinetic energy gives no clue as to what direction that something's velocity is in.

Likes mooncrater
AlephNumbers said:
As I understand it, the radial component of the force of gravity on the ball is countered by the tension in the string. Since the ball has zero velocity when it makes an angle of 37° with the vertical, it has no radial acceleration. That only leaves the tangential acceleration.

This is all assuming the ball is moving in circular motion, which it does not specify in the problem statement. Saying that something has a certain kinetic energy gives no clue as to what direction that something's velocity is in.
So since the question doesn't say that the ball leaves the circular path can we assume that tension is still present as a general rule?

mooncrater said:
So since the question doesn't say that the ball leaves the circular path can we assume that tension is still present as a general rule?

Not really. For instance, the ball could have that kinetic energy, but the velocity could be directly upwards. There would be no tension involved, and the acceleration due to gravity would just be 9.8 m/s2

The question is too vague. Did you get it out of a textbook? Was there a picture with the question?

AlephNumbers said:
Not really. For instance, the ball could have that kinetic energy, but the velocity could be directly upwards. There would be no tension involved, and the acceleration due to gravity would just be 9.8 m/s2

The question is too vague. Did you get it out of a textbook? Was there a picture with the question?
With no tension in the string, it's impossible to have any meaningful relationship between the angle the string makes with the vertical and the position of the ball.

It would have been clearer had the question specified that the string remains under tension. However, it can reasonably assumed that the string is under tension when θ < 90° .

SammyS said:
With no tension in the string, it's impossible to have any meaningful relationship between the angle the string makes with the vertical and the position of the ball.

It would have been clearer had the question specified that the string remains under tension. However, it can reasonably assumed that the string is under tension when θ < 90° .

I understand that. What I am saying is that since we are not told that the ball moves in circular motion nor are we told the direction of the velocity of the ball, no meaningful conclusion can be reached whatsoever.
I agree that it can be assumed that while the ball is in its lowest position that there is tension in the string. It cannot, however, be assumed that the velocity of the ball is directly horizontal. If it was, then the resultant motion of the ball would be circular motion. There is nothing in the problem statement to indicate this.

I don't mean to be argumentative, by the way. This is just a poorly worded question. (no fault of mooncrater's)

Last edited:
AlephNumbers said:
I understand that. What I am saying is that since we are not told that the ball moves in circular motion nor are we told the direction of the velocity of the ball, no meaningful conclusion can be reached whatsoever.
I agree that it can be assumed that while the ball is in its lowest position that there is tension in the string. It cannot, however, be assumed that the velocity of the ball is directly horizontal. If it was, then the resultant motion of the ball would be circular motion. There is nothing in the problem statement to indicate this.

I don't mean to be argumentative, by the way. This is just a poorly worded question.
So, I suppose that we disagree.

Now what I wonder is, what is OP trying to accomplish by making this a poll ?

Last edited:
SammyS said:

Wait, don't just say that! You are probably right. Can you tell me what is wrong with my previous statement?

AlephNumbers said:
Wait, don't just say that! You are probably right. Can you tell me what is wrong with my previous statement?
The problem does state that the string makes an angle of 37° with the vertical (well, someone mentioned vertical).

A limp string can't very well do that.

SammyS said:
The problem does state that the string makes an angle of 37° with the vertical (well, someone mentioned vertical).

Hmmm. You have a point.

AlephNumbers said:

No... there wasn't any picture with it.
SammyS said:

Now what I wonder is, what is OP trying to accomplish by making this a poll ?
I was just trying out that option... no other reason...

SammyS said:

Is that sufficient to say that the the string will have a tension?
I have done some questions and they asked the angle at which the ball leaves the circle... so if this angle is definable then why this limp or no limp matters?

mooncrater said:
Is that sufficient to say that the the string will have a tension?
I have done some questions and they asked the angle at which the ball leaves the circle... so if this angle is definable then why this limp or no limp matters?
If the kinetic energy at the bottom is sufficient for θ to exceed 90°, then the ball might leave the circle. The string doesn't push the ball outward, does it?

What's the complete statement of this problem?

As we learn more about this, some of the early mystery may disappear.

SammyS said:
If the kinetic energy at the bottom is sufficient for θ to exceed 90°, then the ball might leave the circle. The string doesn't push the ball outward, does it?

What's the complete statement of this problem?

As we learn more about this, some of the early mystery may disappear.
The given question is the whole question ... I have omitted nothing.

mooncrater said:
The given question is the whole question ... I have omitted nothing.
They should have given what is the tension in rope or some other information.
If we consider tension 0 N and centrifugal force at that point is zero then your answer of 10ms-2 is correct.
Is your book having hints section? (Obviously you would not have asked if it would have been given in your textbook but is there something in hints that you are not understanding? ). Otherwise you would have experienced earlier that sometimes there are misprintings.

Raghav Gupta said:
If we consider tension 0 N

Why would you do that?

Raghav Gupta said:
centrifugal force at that point is zero

There is absolutely no reason to involve fictitious forces in this problem.

Raghav Gupta said:
They should have given what is the tension in rope or some other information.

They didn't need to. The string has to be tense in order for it to make an angle, as Sammy already said.

AlephNumbers said:
the radial component of the force of gravity on the ball is countered by the tension in the string. Since the ball has zero velocity when it makes an angle of 37° with the vertical, it has no radial acceleration. That only leaves the tangential acceleration.

If you follow this line of thinking you should get an answer of about 6 m/s.

AlephNumbers said:
But SammyS is saying that the problem statement is not complete.
I'm a bit confused here.

Raghav Gupta said:
But SammyS is saying that the problem statement is not complete.
I'm a bit confused here.
It's complete enough to work this out.

It could have been more complete, to remove some speculation. But it can be worked out with reasonable assumptions.

Aleph is doing a fine job helping you.

Okay, but how can we take radial component of gravity?
Gravity is always working vertically down.
We can take components for Tension only.

Sorry for my above reply.
Did some drawing, getting radial component countered by tension as the ball has no radial acceleration .
So only we have tangential acceleration which is gsinθ.
AlephNumbers said:
It should be 6ms-2. :-p

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of a ball with some energy and a string?

A ball with some energy and a string refers to a simple physical system consisting of a ball with some kinetic energy attached to a string. The string is typically fixed at one end, allowing the ball to swing or spin around the fixed point.

2. How does the energy of the ball affect its motion?

The energy of the ball directly affects its motion. The ball will continue to move in a circular or pendulum-like motion until the energy is dissipated or the string breaks. The higher the energy, the faster and more vigorous the motion will be.

3. What factors determine the energy of the ball?

The energy of the ball is determined by its mass, velocity, and height. The higher the mass, velocity, or height of the ball, the greater the energy it possesses.

4. How does the length of the string impact the motion of the ball?

The length of the string affects the period and frequency of the ball's motion. A longer string will result in a longer period and lower frequency of the ball's motion, while a shorter string will result in a shorter period and higher frequency.

5. Can the energy of the ball be changed?

Yes, the energy of the ball can be changed through various means such as adding or subtracting mass, changing the velocity, or altering the height. The energy can also be converted into other forms, such as heat or sound, through friction or collisions.