Why is the infinite Cartesian product of [0,1] with itself not countably based?

• Thread starter Extropy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bases
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why an infinite Cartesian product of the interval [0,1] with the usual topology does not have a countable base. It is explained that even though [0,1] itself has a countable base, its uncountable product with itself does not. This is proven by showing that any countable local base at a function in the product space would not be able to account for the wiggle room at a certain point in the product.
Extropy
A question about bases

I have a question as to why a particular space does not have a countable base. The space is the infinite Cartesian product of the interval [0,1] with the usual topology, with itself.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
?? The interval [0, 1], with the usual topology, itself, does not have a countable base. why would you expect an infinite Cartesian product of such things to have a countable base?

Now you've got me confused, sorry.
It's been a while, but isn't
[tex]\{ (q - 1/n, q + 1/n) \mid q \in \mathbb{Q}, n \in \mathbb{N} \} \cap [0, 1][/tex]
one?

(which still wouldn't work, as for any finite product this is still countable, but for an infinite product it's not).

Probably you should / could / would have to prove that the space is not second countable.

Last edited:
R^n with the usual topology is second countable.

For all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], yes. But what about [itex]n \to \infty[/itex]?

CompuChip said:
For all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], yes. But what about [itex]n \to \infty[/itex]?
It's still second countable: a countable basis is the collection of products of the form [itex]\prod_n X_n[/itex] where X_n is an interval with rational endpoints for finitely many n and X_n = R.

And [0,1] does have a countable base for its usual topology -- after all, it's a separable metric space.

Now as to why [0,1]x[0,1]x... isn't second countable, well, how big of a product are we talking about? If it's a countable product then it is second countable, but if it's an uncountable product then it's not even first countable.

Now as to why [0,1]x[0,1]x... isn't second countable, well, how big of a product are we talking about? If it's a countable product then it is second countable, but if it's an uncountable product then it's not even first countable.

Well, as big as a product to make it uncountable, if there is such a product. Could you explain how the uncountable product of [0,1] with itself is not countable?

(You mean second countable.)

Let's take the product of [0,1] with itself [0,1] times, i.e. [0,1]^[0,1], as prototypical example. This is just another way to talk about the set of functions from [0,1] into [0,1]. A nbhd of a function f in [0,1]^[0,1] (in the product topology) is given by a product of open sets in [0,1] all but finitely many of which are [0,1]. We can picture these nbhds as wiggle room for f, where we can restrict the wiggling at only finitely many points in [0,1].

Now suppose {B_i} is a countable local base at f, and write B_i = [itex]\prod_{a \in [0,1]} U_{i,a}[/itex], where all but finitely many of the U_{i,a}'s are [0,1]. Now because [0,1] is uncountable, we know there exists an a* in [0,1] such that U_{i,a*} = [0,1] for all i. But this means we can't restrict the wiggle space of f at a*, which is a contradiction. More formally, the nbhd [itex]\prod_{a \in [0,1]} G_{a}[/itex], where G_{a*} is strictly smaller than [0,1] (but big enough to contain f(a*)) and G_a = [0,1] for all other a, of f doesn't contain any B_i. So {B_i} can't possibly be a local base at f.

So [0,1]^[0,1] isn't first countable, and consequently not second countable.

This might be too much to swallow if you're not comfortable with the product topology and viewing Cartesian products as sets of functions, but if you are, try putting my words above into picture and the details will write themselves.

What are bases?

Bases are substances that can accept protons (H+) and release hydroxide ions (OH-). They are the opposite of acids in the pH scale, and can neutralize acids to form salt and water.

What is the difference between strong and weak bases?

Strong bases completely dissociate in water and release a high concentration of hydroxide ions, while weak bases only partially dissociate and release a lower concentration of hydroxide ions.

What are some examples of bases?

Sodium hydroxide (NaOH), ammonia (NH3), and calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) are all examples of bases. Other common household bases include baking soda (NaHCO3) and antacids like Tums.

How do bases react with acids?

When a base reacts with an acid, they undergo a neutralization reaction where the base accepts a proton from the acid, forming a salt and water. The resulting solution will have a neutral pH.

What are the uses of bases?

Bases have a variety of uses in different industries. Sodium hydroxide is used in soap and paper production, while ammonia is used in fertilizer production. Bases are also used in household cleaning products and in the production of certain foods and pharmaceuticals.