1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Basic Question on Light

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I feel ashamed at not already knowing this, but...

How can light be a particle and a wave at the same time? What does this particle-wave act like? By that I mean, is a photon a particle vibrating at a wave frequency or is it a sometimes-particle-sometimes-wave structure or something else entirely?

Try not to mock too much for me asking something even a middle-schooler should know.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Can I mock you for asking something most college graduates (physics/chemistry majors excepted) can't be expected to understand? :wink:

Wave-particle duality is something that takes many people a long time to get used to, because it doesn't correspond with anything we're used to experiencing in nature. Basically, the idea is that sometimes light exhibits wave-like properties and sometimes it exhibits particle-like properties, but we're none the wiser as to what it really is (if such a question is even meaningful). I don't think the vibrating particle idea would suffice, though, because photons are known to do things that no classical particle, vibrating or not, should be capable of.

4. Dec 18, 2009 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook